Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
markjewiss
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Internal wiring problems - what next?

Hi everyone,

I've been having broadband issues with BT for some time now - at least a year. I've been on ADSL with BT for about 4 years, and regularly my HomeHub will drop the connection, and take about 10 minutes to come back. Download speed is typically about 5Mb; this was happening 4-5 times per day. After complaining to BT I was advised to plugin to the test socket, leaving the HomeHub connected there I get a connection of about 8Mb, and the drop was now only happening once every couple of days - after the drop, the speed would be back to about 4Mb, and a manual reboot (sometimes a couple in a row) would get me back to 8Mb. I was advised by BT to just leave everything connected to the test socket.

Our cabinet has just gone to fibre, and I've just had this installed a week ago. I'm getting 55Mb from the test socket, this drops to 30Mb if I connect everything back the way it should be. Presumably this is because I have an internal wiring issue...

I've got what to me looks like a poor fix from a BT engineer about 10 years ago as another, possibly connected, problem. At that time they couldn't find the cause of a problem, and ran a new cable from the grey thingy at the front of the house, through my door frame, and into the master socket. I also have an old second line that was installed by BT, this is now disconnected, with the cable for it coming from the grey thingy and just hanging around in my front garden.

I'd like to get to the point where everything is tidied up, and I get to the high line speed without having to be in the test socket, but without paying BT a fortune to do it. Any ideas on what I can do?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Internal wiring problems - what next?

@markjewiss wrote:

Hi everyone,

I've been having broadband issues with BT for some time now - at least a year. I've been on ADSL with BT for about 4 years, and regularly my HomeHub will drop the connection, and take about 10 minutes to come back. Download speed is typically about 5Mb; this was happening 4-5 times per day. After complaining to BT I was advised to plugin to the test socket, leaving the HomeHub connected there I get a connection of about 8Mb, and the drop was now only happening once every couple of days - after the drop, the speed would be back to about 4Mb, and a manual reboot (sometimes a couple in a row) would get me back to 8Mb. I was advised by BT to just leave everything connected to the test socket.

Our cabinet has just gone to fibre, and I've just had this installed a week ago. I'm getting 55Mb from the test socket, this drops to 30Mb if I connect everything back the way it should be. Presumably this is because I have an internal wiring issue...

I've got what to me looks like a poor fix from a BT engineer about 10 years ago as another, possibly connected, problem. At that time they couldn't find the cause of a problem, and ran a new cable from the grey thingy at the front of the house, through my door frame, and into the master socket. I also have an old second line that was installed by BT, this is now disconnected, with the cable for it coming from the grey thingy and just hanging around in my front garden.

I'd like to get to the point where everything is tidied up, and I get to the high line speed without having to be in the test socket, but without paying BT a fortune to do it. Any ideas on what I can do?

If you have good speed at the test socket then  the problem is with your internal wiring which is your responsibility not that Openreach or BT 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

You have 2 choices, do it yourself or get a local bloke in. The second line is a red herring and won't be having any impact other than aesthetics.

If you no longer need any of the extensions, just simply disconnect the wires connected to the front faceplate that you removed to access the test socket and replace it.

CJT80
Expert
Message 4 of 4

@markjewiss

As @licquorice suggested you (if you feel confident) need to do it yourself. 

Does you Master Socket look like: 

2012openreachbrandednte5.JPGThis?

Check behind it, and see what's connected to the removeable Faceplate, and find out where it goes.  If you don't need any of the connections, remove them and replace the Faceplate. 

Let us know how you get on. 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings