cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rocket108
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Internet channels

I live in my motorhome and have my hub set up in the office about 30ft away, I'm using the disc in the winny connected to the youview box and tv with an ethernet splitter, problem is, i can't get any internet channels, they keep breaking up, can anyone help please am at my wits end and missing my superbikes lol

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
albertj
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: Internet channels

Hi @Rocket108 

Welcome to the Community!

You mention an ethernet splitter, do you mean a network switch?

Ethernet splitters are very unreliable and only work with one device at a time.

Thanks

--
If I have helped you in anyway please press the Kudo button (thumbs up)
If I have resolved your post please click 'Mark as Accepted Solution'
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

If you are running an Ethernet cable from your office to your motorhome you should either run two Ethernet cables, one for each device, or use an Ethernet switch by connecting the Ethernet cable to your Homehub and the other end in your motorhome to an Ethernet switch. From the switch connect two Ethernet cables, one to each device. 

0 Ratings
Rocket108
Beginner
Message 4 of 11

Thank you, I sort of thought i might have to run a cable over from the hub, would an ordinary extra long one do or should it be an outdoor one, i have an ethernet port in the winny already but never used it, am not very good at this techy stuff 

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

Ethernet will work on cables up to 100 meters so you would need to buy one to the length that you need.

If it is going to be a permanent fixture I would make it an outdoor Ethernet cable but if it is only for short term an ordinary Ethernet cable would suffice. 

If you do an Internet search you will find plenty of cable suppliers. Get one which is at least Cat5E or Cat6.

Once you have the cable run to the motorhome you connect an Ethernet switch to it, again do an Internet search to find one. A five port one costs under £10. You then connect two short Ethernet cables to the switch and plug the other end of the cables into your devices in.

Rocket108
Beginner
Message 6 of 11

I have an ethernet switch already with 2 cables in it..one to the disc which is paired to the hub and one to the tv, but i dont think the disc is man enough to power the youview box so defo think i need to run one from the hub 

Just discovered i don't have a switch so will get one of those as well...sorry to be such a dumb **bleep** lol

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

What do you mean when you say the "disc"

0 Ratings
Rocket108
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

I think I have the wrong thing then..

0 Ratings
Rocket108
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

Its a bt disc to use in other parts of the home 

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

I would suggest that you set it up in the way I have outlined above or seek assistance from a friend or someone with a bit of knowledge about networking who should be able to set it up fairly easily.

EDIT: It sounds like you have a Wifi repeater disc of some sort. It may be that you are not picking up a strong enough signal in order to stream TV etc. 

In my opinion you would get the best out of your broadband connection if you do something along the lines of what I have suggested.