cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 17

Internet connection dropping, is this setup ok? Old house.

I live in an old house in a village in the South West, our internet speeds are fine (when it works) however the connection decides to drop randomly throughout the day. It's very hard to get through an hour without at least one drop out. The WiFi connection to our BT Hub5 is fine, also via ethernet cable is fine, so no hardware issues. It's the internet connection itself that causes endless headaches. It does seem to be more stable at night however (does more people using internet = internet dropouts? Surely it shouldn't do! We only have max. 10 devices connected at once, probably less actually actually active at once). I'd love to know if anyone can see from my setup why we get such poor internet connectivity.

Our internet comes in from the street pole to a black thingy up at the top (see pic 1) then goes into the wall (red circle), but then maybe back out again (see '?' in pic) and down into the house at the base of the wall.

pic1 - (black line from street pole comes in, but seems to come out again and then down wall to hole in base):

black line from street pole into house, but straight back out again?black line from street pole into house, but straight back out again?

Either way I believe the line travels to a BT junction box in the house (see pic 2)...

pic2:

IMG-5700.JPG

...and then under stairs and cupboards to our master socket in the hallway (I think it's the master as it's the only one with a capacitor in it, and 2 cables going into the box. See pic 3 and 4)

pic3 (looks like the master? only one with a yellow thingy, capacitor?):

Master socket?Master socket?

pic 4 (same one, pic taken from outside. master socket?)

2 cables going into top. So, master?2 cables going into top. So, master?

We have a cordless phone base plugged into the master here (pic 5)

pic5:

cordless phone base plugged into master socketcordless phone base plugged into master socket

We have the BT home hub 5 plugged into an extension socket in the TV room (so that the smart tv can get the best WiFi signal to the router) via a micro filter. We also have a wired telephone with an ADSL connection (it's a modern-ish phone made to look old school, see pic 6). As the router is taking up the ADSL port on the filter, we've had to use another filter to get the phone connected (see pic 7 and 8 for setup).

pic 6:

phone with ADSL connectorphone with ADSL connector

pic 7:

Home Hub setup, with extra filter so phone can plug inHome Hub setup, with extra filter so phone can plug in

pic 8 (close up of ADSL phone connecting to micro filter, which connects to another microfilter with the home hub using that one):

IMG-5720.jpg

Can anyone see any issues here? The internet dropouts are causing me and my family a lot of pain. Especially as we're all working from home due to the pandemic. This issue has gone on for years. We'd love to get our money's worth and not have to worry about this.

Any non-intrusive solutions (ie. no re-wiring, re-installations) would be preferred! 🙂

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: Internet connection dropping, is this setup ok? Old house.

OMG what a mess, where to start.

You need to replace your current master socket with a proper filtered NTE and then run 2 wires from the data extension terminals to an RJ11 extension socket for the hub. If you also want telephony there (no idea why when you have a cordless phone) run 2 other wires from terminals 2&5 in the faceplate to either a phone socket, or as your phone appears to have an RJ11 plug rather than a 431A plug, another RJ11 socket.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 17

Hi there thanks for the reply,

I should add- I'm not looking to get engineers around to start replacing things and re-wiring. I'm sure it's very expensive! Right?

@licquoricewrote:
.. If you also want telephony there (no idea why when you have a cordless phone)...

I don't understand what your point is here... We have a cordless phone so we can pick it up and walk about whilst on the phone! Or do you mean it's silly to have the base plugged into the master instead of a secondary handset (which wouln't need any socket connection)?

Also do you think this phone at the master socket could be causing internet issues?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

@teo113 wrote:

I should add- I'm not looking to get engineers around to start replacing things and re-wiring. I'm sure it's very expensive! Right?

Internal wiring is your responsibility not BT's, I was assuming you would do it yourself.

@licquoricewrote:
.. If you also want telephony there (no idea why when you have a cordless phone)...

I don't understand what your point is here... We have a cordless phone so we can pick it up and walk about whilst on the phone! Or do you mean it's silly to have the base plugged into the master instead of a secondary handset (which wouln't need any socket connection)?

I mean why do you need a hard wired phone at all as well as a cordless one.

As an aside, you just need to change the cord on the handset to one with a 431A plug instead of an RJ11 to remove the need for the second filter.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 17

@licquoricewrote:

@teo113wrote:

Internal wiring is your responsibility not BT's, I was assuming you would do it yourself. See my reply at end of message.

@licquoricewrote:

I mean why do you need a hard wired phone at all as well as a cordless one. Just looks nice I guess!

As an aside, you just need to change the cord on the handset to one with a 431A plug instead of an RJ11 to remove the need for the second filter. ok thanks. The socket in the back of the phone is RJ11 so I'll look for a RJ11 to 431A cord.

Ah I thought upgrading the master socket would be BT's responsibility? Especially if we could prove that our internet is sub-standard.

Quick google found this comment:

'Openreach are responsible for everything up to the master socket. That includes the master socket itself'

Either way, I guess what I really want to know is, WHY my setup is poor? And do phones really cause such big issues? Referring to my setup specifically.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 17

The link you posted is five years old.

This is what BT now use as a guide for what is chargeable.

https://www.bt.com/help/landline/getting-set-up/costs-and-charges/engineer-home-improvement-service-...

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 17

Its possibly a combination of how you have your phones connected and the hub being plugged into an extension socket that isn't optimally connected.

Is there any noise on your line when you carry out a quiet line test on 17070? Use the corded phone plugged into the master socket.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 17

I'll unplug all phones in the house for the day (maybe tomorrow too) and see if the internet dropouts stop.

Thanks I'll try the quiet line test too, with the corded phone. Do I use a microfilter for the test? Or just plug the phone straight into the master socket without the filter?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 17

As it has an RJ11 plug, plug it straight in without a filter. Unplug the hub whilst doing it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 17

@licquoricewrote:

As it has an RJ11 plug, plug it straight in without a filter. Unplug the hub whilst doing it.

Not sure if you've got you're wires mixed but... you can't plug a RJ11 directly into a 431A master socket, they're 2 different shapes!

This is the phone cable (RJ11):

corded phonecorded phone

and this is the master socket entry (431A?):

example from googleexample from google

0 Ratings