cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Internet cuts off for entire household almost immediately after launching COD

I don't really know what else I can do on my end apart from resetting the router but here's the full story.

In my spare time I play on my Xbox, the games will range from Forza Horizon 5 (Online based game), GTA Online, and Call of Duty Warzone.

Now before Warzone got a major map update, it would work without causing any interference with the internet connection, now the update has came, ever time I get on its a 50/50 if the internet will stay on or drop. Sometimes the internet will go in a middle of a match, other times it will drop on the main menu that lets you choose between all the COD titles from MW 2019 - present

I'm really confused, I have tried reinstalling the game about 5 times, but nothing seems to work.

Xbox is connected to the router through a cable with a switch in-between.  

It doesn't matter if the internet is at peak usage or if its in the dead of night, it the game always happens to disconnect it.

Now bare in mind, I did have a issue where the internet will drop with about a 10% chance when I signed into my Xbox account from turning my Xbox on after its been off at the mains, but it has never happened after I wake it from sleep/low power mode.

Again, no other game, whether its online or story based, will cause the internet to drop. Only COD does it which makes the whole scenario more weirder.

For the record, I do have port forwarding enabled for the Xbox through the router's settings page

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Internet cuts off for entire household almost immediately after launching COD

@Spack_Bang020071 

If you want help from forum members, you will need to specify which BT Home hub you are using, and what BT Broadband package you have.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Re: Internet cuts off for entire household almost immediately after launching COD

Its a BT Smart Hub. 55mb package
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

@Spack_Bang020071 wrote:
Its a BT Smart Hub. 55mb package

Do the lights on the home hub change colour when the Internet cuts off?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Yes
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

@Spack_Bang020071 wrote:
Yes

What upload speed does it show when you run the BT Wholesale Performance Checker?

https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

If your game ,on start up, exceeds your upload speed, then its possible that the home hub will drop the connection.

Please can you also make sure that Smart Setup is turned off.

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub--how-can-i-turn-it-on-and-off-

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Upload hangs around 9mb, same with speedtest.net. How can I check the game is exceeding the upload speed or what ever? Smart setup is off. 

This has happened on 2 different consoles now, one is the old black Xbox one and the other is the brand new Series S. So the Xbox has been pretty much ruled out now of causing the fault.

Router has been reset but clearly not helped.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Have you tries a full factory reset of the home hub?

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/how-do-i-reset-my-bt-hub-to-its-factory-settings

Then turn smart setup off again.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Yes I have tried a factory reset (putting a pin in the little hole), but didn't help. I think it may be due to the game putting some sort of overload on the internet, seeing how other people are complaining about things such as lag spikes.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Are there any event logs available on the hub? 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings