Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Carl_Smyth
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Internet issues

Hey,

Posting here as I am out of ideas. I am a BT Plus customer. Been with BT for years with no issue. About 1 month ago I started getting high MS/Ping spikes at random times of the day (not at just peak times, anytime really). I though nothing of it as I had not had issues for years but they kept persisting. I eventually opened a fault and got a engineer out.

Long story short...6 engineer visits later and the issue still persists. The real problem I am having is that i cant make the fault happen, it just happens randomly therefore evertime a engineer comes and connects his equipment to my masterbox there is no issues and when he looks at my line speed on his mobile for the last few weeks for example it shows the speed is stable...I just dont get it. How can I be experiencing these issues but on BT's side everything is 'fine'.

My usual speeds are around 40mb down and 6.6mb up with around 40ms ping. However when I get spikes my ms will jump up to 600-1300ms and if I do a speed test (not only on various 3rd party speed test webistes but also on the BT wholesale site) my speed goes drastically down, i.e 10mb down 0.3mb up etc etc. This has been happening for over a month now with no fix in sight. The spikes will last around 20mins then will calm down and go back to normal for a bit and then another spike will happen etc etc.

Some more Info, I have had the following done by Engineers.

• Line from mastersocket to telephone pole replaced.
  • Router replaced.
  • Tried the router connected Wirelessly and via a cable (to rule out a faulty cable)
  • Replaced every cable/filter possible
  • Ports at the exchange replaced
  • Engineer put me on different lines (in the ground)

I am at a loss right now and im in a contract with BT until November and basically been told as far as they are concerned the line is stable and fine and there really isnt anything else I can do. I do wonder where the BT wholesale results go to when it says 'Uploading to server' as if they had access to that info I have done 20+ Speed tests on there showing my issue.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as I am at a loss what to do going forward as I am a avid gamer and am unable to do anything right now due to these constant spikes.

Carl Smyth.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Carl_Smyth
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 16

Re: Internet issues

Net 1.png

0 Ratings
Carl_Smyth
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 16

As you can see my speeds are all over the place....
Net 2.png

0 Ratings
Carl_Smyth
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 16

net 3.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 16

can you post stats from your hub. If hh6 then advanced settings then technical log information 

if hh5 then troubleshooting then helpdesk 

Any noise on line dial 17070 option 2 should be silent and best with corded phone 

only the last btspeedtester test is help on server - each test supersedes the previous test

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Carl_Smyth
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 16

tech1.pngtech2.png

0 Ratings
Carl_Smyth
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 16

No noise on the line

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

So from stats your connection has been stable for 3 days plus

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Carl_Smyth
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 16

This is the thing though, its not stable. As you can see from the test results i posted multiple times my speed and MS is all over the place. I get constant spikes all the time no matter what part of the day it is and I just lose all speed. What could be causing this if its not the internet? its not like it happens if i play a particular game or something, I can just be watching a youtube vid and suddenly it starts buffering so I do a speed test to see what happening and I get results like I posted.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 16

Your line and therefore your connection is stable from your stats  however what you describe is download problems which is different  does your download problem happen when using just wireless? Does it happen at peak time but ok at off peak?

0 Ratings