Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adey1982
Beginner
Message 1 of 22

Internet only works with an extension plugged in

Go to solution

I've just moved into a new house and my fibre went live today. I'm getting slow speeds (10mb )  should be 35mb. In my living room i have what I assume is the master socket (it's connected to the bt wire coming in from outside and has a detachable faceplate with test socket in it) right next to this is a double socket and into one of these sockets is an extension wire which runs to an upstairs bedroom. If I detach this extension lead none of the sockets work, not even the test socket. Any ideas what's going on here?

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 22

Re: Internet only works with an extension plugged in

Go to solution

Can you post some pictures of the wiring, without it is just guesswork.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 22

Go to solution

Sounds like you have a wiring problem 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Adey1982
Beginner
Message 4 of 22

Go to solution

20190812_201449_compress96.jpg

If extension wire on far left is disconnected no other sockets work.  Wire on far right comes in from outside. Do you need a pic with the faceplates off?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 22

Go to solution

Yes please

0 Ratings
Adey1982
Beginner
Message 6 of 22

Go to solution

I'll have to post a photo tomorrow now. I just can't understand how it doesn't work plugged directly into test socket as I thought this would isolate any internal wiring issues? If I plug the extension cable into the test socket and then plug the router into the jack onothe back of the extension cable then it works. Am I right in thinking that if it doesn't work plugged directly into test socket it is openreachs responsibility?  I don't want to be charged if it's a fault internally .

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 22

Go to solution

Something weird going on with the wiring. Where exactly do you consider the test socket to be? Are you sure the cable coming in at the right of the picture comes from outside, it appears to be internal cable so must be a junction box elsewhere.

Ok, carefully re-reading your post, your line is coming in from outside upstairs where the extension lead is plugged in. Plugging the extension lead into the test socket is a red herring, I suspect if you just unplug the extension lead downstairs and connect to the jack at the back of it as you did before but without plugging into the test socket, your broadband will work. I.e it is coming down the extension lead from upstairs.

0 Ratings
Adey1982
Beginner
Message 8 of 22

Go to solution

Thanks for your help. The test socket is underneath the faceplate of the socket on the right hand side. I'm pretty sure the cable on the right of it goes through the window frame outside. The extension box is upstairs to the rear of the house and its only connection is the wire with the jack on it connected to the left most socket in my original photo. Here is a photo of where the extension terminates

20190812_193935_compress24.jpg

I've taken the face off and no other connections apart from the one cable 

0 Ratings
Adey1982
Beginner
Message 9 of 22

Go to solution

Ok I've tried plugging the router into the extension jack but doesn't work unless the extension is plugged into any of the 3 sockets .

Here is a pic with faceplate off of master socket

20190813_065435_compress40.jpg

And the socket next to it

20190813_065249_compress41.jpg

Sorry they have come out sideways for some reason. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 22

Go to solution

Sorry, I'm at a complete loss here. Apart from the orange bell wire on terminal 3 of all the sockets (which is not necessary and should be removed) I can't see what is happening, most bizarre. It all looks wired correctly. The only thing I can think is it might be a faulty master socket but I can't imagine what fault would cause the effect you are getting.

Just to be absolutely clear, with all faceplates on there is no connectivity at any of the three sockets unless the extension cable is plugged into one of them and there is no connectivity at the test socket when the master faceplate is removed.

Can you repeat the tests using a phone rather than your router and check whether dial tone is present at any of the sockets.