Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adey1982
Beginner
Message 11 of 22

Re: Internet only works with an extension plugged in

Go to solution

Yes that's right, without the extension wire plugged in no sockets work. It's as if the signal has to go via the up stairs socket for anything to work. But upstairs is just an extension, I'm really confused. I'm at work now and don't have a landline phone but will see if I can get hold of one and check tonight. Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 22

Go to solution

Have you taken the cover off the bedroom extension to see if more than one wire runs into it? There could be one coming in from behind that wall as well as the one that you can see coming out of it.

It may be that that has been wired to be your "master" socket and all the other sockets run off that.

0 Ratings
Adey1982
Beginner
Message 13 of 22

Go to solution

There is definitely only one wire going into the upstairs extension

20190813_182732_compress7.jpg

I've got hold of a phone and I get no dial tone from any socket with or without the extension plugged in .

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 22

Go to solution

Where does the cable in the upstairs socket go to

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 22

Go to solution

@imjolly  I believe that is the cable that is plugged into the left hand socket.

@Adey1982  I think you need to trace where the cable in the master socket goes to, it must go to a junction box somewhere to connect to the external cable. I think one wire has become disconnected somewhere which is why your phone doesn't work and broadband behaves oddly. If you can't see a junction box to investigate, report the fault as no dial tone at the master socket.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 22

Go to solution

@licquorice 

Wiring total mess and needs engineer visit to sort out

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 22

Go to solution

No it isn't, the wiring is perfectly good and and how it should be. Master socket on the right has incoming feed wired correctly to A&B, adjacent twin socket correctly wired from terminals 2&5 (with superfluous bell wire on terminal3) on the faceplate to 2&5 in both sockets of the twin and the extension lead correctly wired in the bedroom socket.

The problem is the incoming feed.

0 Ratings
Adey1982
Beginner
Message 18 of 22

Go to solution

Thanks for your help guys. Yes that bedroom extension wire is connected to the left most socket in my first pic. The wire to the master socket goes straight through the window frame to connect to grey bt connection outside. 

Line test produced an external fault on the line so engineer is being booked in .Still don't understand how the internet connection works with that extension cable connected only though, even through the test socket .He said it might be something to do with the extension pulling more signal through or something . We will see what the engineer finds. Thanks again for the help. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 22

Go to solution

Broadband will sometimes work very slowly with one wire but telephony won't work at all. In an unbalanced condition like that anything might happen with extension wiring involved.

It might be worth having a look in the grey box to see if one of the wires has corroded through.

Adey1982
Beginner
Message 20 of 22

Go to solution

@licquorice  was correct.  Wires snapped off at connection on outside of house .very helpful Openreach guy replaced connection, drilled a new hole through wall and fitted a new filtered master socket and removed the superfluous box and extension. Now working fine. Still no idea why the upstairs connection made the broadband work but nevermind!

Thanks for your help. 

0 Ratings