cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jamz
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Internet seems to “freeze”

I’m pulling my hair out with this one. The internet will work fine for 5-10 min while browsing Facebook/twitter/instagram then suddenly it will just seem to freeze on the loading icon.

Disconnecting from WiFi and connecting to 4g works perfectly. I’ve tried all sorts and can’t figure it out. Changed to WiFi channels that aren’t being used. A restart of the home hub usually does the trick, but shouldn’t need to do this 3-4 times a day?

It also seems to hang while browsing the internet too. There’s no massive devices connected to the WiFi. Just a couple phones and tablets.

Also speeds seem to be truly slow (opposed to what BT says we should be getting) currently getting 9mb down and 7mb up.

Screenshot 2018-12-14 at 14.22.29.png

Anyone got any ideas what I can do to check the issue? Is it the hub?

Router Type: BT Home Hub 5 (Type A)
Router Firmware Version: 4.7.5.1.83.8.261

There's a few Wifi Registration Failed in the log

Screenshot 2018-12-14 at 14.17.49.png

We have a AP connected in the loft over a power adapter - I have even tried disconnecting this incase it was this causing issues, but they're still there.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_48b4.jpg

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Internet seems to “freeze”

Is this on all devices or just a specific one?

Is there a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark superimposed on the WiFi icon in the system tray when it fails or a message telling you that WiFi is connected but there is no internet access?

If on all devices then try changing the DNS server address on one device to either 208.67.222.222 (Open DNS) or 8.8.8.8 (Google DNS) and see if that make an improvement. I've had so much trouble recently with BT DNS that I've given up with it

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

Try a factory reset of the home hub.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11386/%7E/how-do-i-reset-my-bt-hub-to-its-factory-set...

Then turn off smart setup.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
Jamz
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Nope it seems that the router remains connected to the internet when it "drops out" - no orange lights on the device.

I have just tried updating my phone to Googles DNS server instead to see if I see any drop out while connected to the WiFi. I'm suprised the Home Hub doesn't let you manually set a DNS server.

Smart Setup is already deactivated - this was the first thing I tried when searching for what the issue may be. And i've also tried the factory reset a few times.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

from what you describe it appears the internet connection to the hub is ok and the problem is wireless to your devices.  have you tried splitting the networks and also changing channel manually rather than auto

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/56419/~/how-do-i-split-my-bt-hubs-ssid-%28wireless-ne...

can you post stats from your hh5  troubleshooting then helpdesk

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Jamz
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

I've manually set the channels after finding the best channels (that no one else seems to be using around the area) - Channel 5 and 44 (highligted below) - the other two are the AP which is up in the loft - the router is downstairs.

Screenshot 2018-12-14 at 15.31.38.png

Stats attached

Screenshot 2018-12-14 at 15.33.41.png

0 Ratings
Jamz
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Still seem to be having issues. Going to have to call the help desk I think and work through their scripted support 🙄.

It’s just totally strange and random. Twitter and Facebook seem to be the worst will just hang on the loading wheel until going to 4g then it’s perfect.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

with the hh5 when you split the wireless networks you need to change the SSID of one of them - normally it is suggested that you simply add a 5 to the 5ghz network

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/56419/~/how-do-i-split-my-bt-hubs-ssid-%28wireless-ne...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

Two things which are the main causes of a temporary freeze.

Noise on the phone line causing errors, which result in  re-transmissions, that will also affect Ethernet connections.

Interference on the wireless channel, or too may wireless devices, trying to communicate with the home hub, at the same time.

0 Ratings