cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 31

Internet speed on pc following upgrade

Hi, any advice would be much appreciated. I recently upgraded to Halo2 and since then the internet on my laptop has been extremely slow (at times failing to reach the applicable webpages). I’m typing this using my phone as I can’t get to this point using my computer. BT speed test says that the speed is good but other tests of my upload and download speed are shockingly low. I pressed the reset pin on my router and it immediately sped things up when it reconnected. However, this only lasted for about 2-3 minutes and it’s back to as it was. I’ve tried to search for driver updates and followed so many tutorials online but nothing seems to work. Many thanks in advance

0 Ratings
30 REPLIES 30
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 31

Re: Internet speed on pc following upgrade

Make sure you turn off "smart setup" on the Smarthub.  It causes more problems than it has ever solved.

See link how to do that.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub%3F-how-can-...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 31

Thank you very much for responding so quickly. I tried what you suggested and it worked perfectly- again, for about 3 minutes, and then back to its old tricks! I haven’t yet received a smart hub in the post since upgrading and I’m wondering if that could be part of the problem - I’m still operating from my hub 5. I’m convinced that it’s got to be an issue with my laptop, as all other devices (Apple devices) are working very quickly.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 31

Hi @Lhcneuk, welcome to the community and thanks for posting, if other devices are fine then I agree it sounds like an issue with your laptop. Can you try connecting the laptop to the Hub with an ethernet cable to see if that makes any difference? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 31

The Homehub 5 should still work OK unless there was a problem before you upgraded.

You could try a factory reset of the Homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds. After it restarts make sure you turn off the Smart set up again.

It might also be worth checking that your laptop wireless network card has the most up to date drivers. It is best to check on the card or laptop manufacture's website rather than using the Windows drivers.  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 31

Thank you very much once again for your response and your suggestions. I reset the home hub and the internet was very speedy for about 30 seconds, after which I got a screen saying “cannot reach this web page”. Wireless connectivity seems good but it seems to be connecting and then losing the connection very intermittently. As far as I can see, I have the latest version of all of my drivers installed. I ran a virus check etc. and nothing has been detected.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 31

Hello,

One last ditch attempt! I really appreciate all of the advice that I've received on the forum so far, as it's helped me to get my head around what may/may not be happening. I've tried all of the suggestions, in terms of disabling smart setup (after resetting the homehub5), and I can't seem to find any new drivers that I haven't already installed on the HP website. 

However, I've now tried using an ethernet cable,  and my computer and internet is now as fast as can be! (ie. when it's connected directly to the router.) The wifi is usually spot on in the position that it's in, and the only thing that I could think of is that, because I live in an apartment block and we're currently on lockdown, most people will be using their wifi, and this may be disrupting things. However, I installed a piece of software called WifiInfoView, to see if my router was using a channel that everyone else seems to be using. Lots of people seem to be using channel 11, but there's only myself and two others on channel 6. 

As always, any suggestions, or possible explanations and advice would be much appreciated. I'm somewhat relieved that I have fast internet now, but it would be great if I could finally lose the ethernet cable at some point.

Many thanks again.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 31

Some devices have a problem with the Homehub dual band having the same SSid (name). You should try splitting them.

See links

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/56419/~/how-do-i-split-my-bt-hubs-ssid-%28wireless-ne...

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44798/~/i-have-problems-connecting-5ghz-and-dual-band...

You might also want to try using wireless channel 13. This channel is not automatically used by routers in the UK so you will probably find that you are then only person on it and will remain so unless somebody else manually selects it 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 31

Try setting the hub manually to channel 1 if that is not congested.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 31

@gg30340 wrote:

Some devices have a problem with the Homehub dual band having the same SSid (name). You should try splitting them.

See links

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/56419/~/how-do-i-split-my-bt-hubs-ssid-%28wireless-ne...

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44798/~/i-have-problems-connecting-5ghz-and-dual-band...

You might also want to try using wireless channel 13. This channel is not automatically used by routers in the UK so you will probably find that you are then only person on it and will remain so unless somebody else manually selects it 

Neither possible if OP has Smart Hub2 though unfortunately.

0 Ratings