Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
B1998
Contributor
Message 131 of 359

Re: Introducing Complete Wi-Fi from BT

@Sammk6wrote:
Before I order this is anyone able to definitively confirm if I can have one UHD youview box connected directly to the hub and an additional youview box connected to the complete Wi-Fi disc’s Ethernet port as I’ve read and been told conflicting information. Obviously I don’t want to spend another £100, if it’s not going to work for what I intend.

I don't know about Complete Wi-Fi but from this forum there seems to be plenty of people connecting TV boxes to BT's whole home wi-fi discs or other wireless solutions.

Only thing is that connecting Youview box wirelessly is not "officially" supported by BT - only Ethernet to Home Hub and Powerline are. So if you ask them I guess they'll say no. But there's plenty of evidence that it works for many people.

Highlighted
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 132 of 359

Hi

BT TV support:
This is the same as Complete Wi-Fi - at the moment - it's not a supported approach to connect BT TV. We recommend hard wiring using Ethernet.

But, there is an Ethernet port in the back of the discs to hardwire devices.

We'll update in the future if it does become a supported method.

Speeds:
Reading some of the recent threads

To improve speeds of the home network - it's worth tweaking the location of the discs to avoid thick walls / any dense material etc... between the Smart Hub 2 and Disc. Most Discs if connected using 5GHz (which is what the MyBT App setup will try and achieve) will then get >100Mbps+ Wi-Fi speeds in that room ... clearly that speed then drops off as it's repeated through other walls around your home. But, the overall network speed delivered for all devices should be strong.

Speed optimisation tweak
- If you've got a hard wired Ethernet aroudn your home
- you can use the Ethernet port on the back of the Disc to create a wired in backhaul. Again, helps with maximising overall network speed.

Hopefully these help
Cheers
Luke
jaymorley
Contributor
Message 133 of 359

Received my new smart hub and disc earlier today & was pleased to see the disc had an ethernet port in order to setup as wired rather than the wireless option.

Didn't take long at all to setup and was really happy to see that I've gone from struggling to get a connection in my lounge to now having full connection. Even the Smart Hub 2 seems to have a better range than the HH6. The signal was stronger in the problem area however my daughter has a Raspberry Pi and the newer hub is showing roughly 12% stronger signal over the HH6.

I have only minor gripes at the moment. First was it wasn't actually clear you could have the disc wired. I'll always go wired if I can but on researching I didn't see this mentioned. None of the literature mentioned it, nor did the app setup. My only other gripe is that it wouldn't allow me to change the wifi password to my own password. It was a 10 digit code containing both numbers and letters and wasn't a word. It did flag it as not strong however said did I wish to proceed, which I did. Regardless despite it showing as saved, each time I logged out and back in the original password remained. Both issues are very minor in scheme of things.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 134 of 359

@jaymorley wrote:
My only other gripe is that it wouldn't allow me to change the wifi password to my own password. It was a 10 digit code containing both numbers and letters and wasn't a word. It did flag it as not strong however said did I wish to proceed, which I did. Regardless despite it showing as saved, each time I logged out and back in the original password remained.

See https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Devices/Smart-Hub-2-Changing-the-default-WiFi-password/m-p/1914132#M7... regarding password changing

BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 135 of 359

Hi @jaymorley 

We're making a tweak to the app and firmware - at the moment if you try and immediately change the wi-fi passwrod after connecting it's doing a firmware upgrade which is why the settings won't save.  We're adding in some error messages.  Once that's done - changing the info works.

It was a conscious choice not to advice about the hard-wiring in the user-guide.  But, that's why it's posted here.  We'd seen from our customer testing that it confused some cusotmers and they left the disc plugged into the ethernet cable provided rather than optimally locating the Disc around the home (so the hub and disc were next to each other - not going to deliver Complete Wi-Fi).  Hopefully this advice on the forum now helps.

0 Ratings
jaymorley
Contributor
Message 136 of 359

Cheers
0 Ratings
jaymorley
Contributor
Message 137 of 359

Yeah makes sense. I also thought at the time that I guess most users will likely be wireless and not wired. Like I say it was minor. 

0 Ratings
ralphrmartin
Contributor
Message 138 of 359

It would make more sense in some ways to let the user decide how many disks they want. I'd prefer one in each main room (which already have ethernet cabling anyhow) to ensure a high speed connection, even if there was a per-disk charge.

0 Ratings
nostra999
Contributor
Message 139 of 359

@LukeBuxton I am having trouble with complete wi-fi under a different post. Would you mind taking a nose please?

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Devices/Smart-hub-2-and-wifi-disc-disconnects/td-p/1915100

I am at a bit of a loss as the wifi disc appears to be causing the homehub to lock up every few hours.

Thanks

0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 140 of 359

Hi @nostra999 - thanks for raising to me.  I've seen that one of the moderators has now been in touch - I've also got in touch with Robbie and our tech team will look into it for you.

A couple of quick checks:

1) Pair the Disc with your hub (connect the two together using an ethernet cable) - the light will then turn blue

2) Leave them connected for 5-10 mins (the firmware for both devices will need to upgrade) - the light will move quickly from blue to a flashing purple (upgrading firmware) and then back to blue (firmware upgraded)

3) Then locate

Each time you factory reset the devices it'll take you back to an earlier firmware version - which may be causing a few issues as it then tries to upgrade again - but the Tech team will be able to prove out exactly what's the issue to make sure you're up and running with a stable connection.

Cheers

Luke

0 Ratings