What great service guys!!
0 Ratings
GamingPc321
Aspiring Contributor
Message 232 of 347

Re: Introducing Complete Wi-Fi from BT

Hi there,

Can anyone help?

I haven't set it up yet, however I received today the Smart hub-2 and black add in WiFi disk.

Although the ultrafast doesn't get switched on until tomorrow, I would like to get my head around things now.

So, if you please, can the black WiFi disk be used with a Powerline adapter to act just as a slave AP, or does it have to connect to the smarthub-2 via WiFi and act solely as a WiFi repeater?

And to be honest, if both options are available, which is the best or is it situation specific?

Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
Highlighted
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 233 of 347

Hi @GamingPc321

The Wi-FI Disc has to work with the Smart  Hub 2 - it then creates a single wi-fi network

It's best to run the Wi-Fi Disc as a repeater (not backhauling it using powerline) - it'll be more reliable

I'd highly recommend downloading the myBT app for your setup - it'll make sure that the Disc has a strong wi-fi signal backhaul to the Smart Hub 2 (normally on 5GHz) which will provide a fast reliable connection - they'll then work together to provide the single network.

Together they should deliver a wi-fi signal all around your home (so you shouldnt need to use your existing powerline devices)

Cheers

Luke

Devices expertLukeB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
GamingPc321
Aspiring Contributor
Message 234 of 347

Hi Luke,

Thanks so much for the reply.

The ultrafast is supposed to be switched on today, an engineer visit is planned for 3-5pm.

It would be worth me mentioning at this point, that this is all at my mates house, I fix his computer like many of my other friends and family too.

I also have been setting up his network and am in the process of optimization.

I'm going there today about 12pm to do some more testing.

Basically, as he has lodgers and he and his son has friends visit, I am trying to optimise the home network to benefit him and his son for the most part. As is logical. After all, you don't pay an extra 7.50 a month to benefit everyone else, right?

So... In preparation of the ultrafast switch on today, I have:

1. Setup the new smart hub 2 with a network name and password that only he, his son and I, as his system administrator have access to.

This hopefully, will make sure he and his son will always have the best signal and bandwidth available to them. (I will setup the disk in due course)

2. Using Powerline adapters and the old Hub6, I have setup a wireless access point, which in effect will also act as a guest network. The original ssid and password remain the same, I have just changed the router manager password to prevent access from anyone else but my mate and myself as admin. I have also selected a different wireless interface mode (old Hub6 only)  in the hope that it limits bandwidth from the device and hence impacts the overall home broadband speed far less.. therefore, hopefully leaving the majority of bandwidth for my mate and his son.

Now, with respect to the disk, it is likely that, if we use it in the fashion you have suggested as being the best option, as a WiFi repeater, and following the instructions, you just plug it in the router and it copies the info, then only he and his son will benefit from its WiFi ability. Also, as repeater, it may struggle, reason, the house is old, built 1909 I think, thick solid walls, who knows anyway, I have to test still.  (He already has one similar device and it just gets in the way mostly, copying not only the name and password but also using same channels, darned annoying if you ask me! This is why I prefer PL adapters, as you can put stuff anywhere, setup a separate network name/password on a totally different channel, and then your WiFi device has a much better time of things.)

So basically I guess, thank you for your assistance, as long as the disk 'can' be used with a PL adapter, then I will commit to a series of trial and error tests until I get the optimum result.

All I really need to know is, please, does a completely fresh disk, have its own IP address/manager software, regardless of the App you mentioned? ( I don't like phone apps as they always want permission to stuff I don't want them to have, plus my mate won't have a scooby how to use it anyhow and I would sooner use my laptop to set it up if I can..)

Just for reference, I have WirelessMon software on my laptop and a WiFi Analyser app on my smartphone already and can easily test and triangulate WiFi signal, strength and channel and optimise that way.

If you have any further advice suggestions please feel free to mention.

Many thanks again for your support and kind regards

0 Ratings
Oemoore64
Aspiring Contributor
Message 235 of 347

@GamingPc321
A single disk setup will not be optimal for what you are trying to do.
you will need to use the bt app to ascertain best disc locations and potentially the number of discs you will need.
The discs do all share the same ip range and the channel issue is something I have/am facing as well being in an old house with a sky q TV mesh system alongside complete wifi.
you'll probably need a second disc, but I will say the service does work, it just lacks some of the advanced management such as traffic priorities and secondary networks that other mesh services give you.
The app also doesn't give you all the options the browser does, and doesn't share hostnames
0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 236 of 347

Thanks - agree with the comments from @Oemoore64

Hi @GamingPc321 - adding to them a touch

1) The Disc creates a single "mesh" network with the Smart Hub 2 - it's very different to high street wi-fi extenders where you experience the issues you've noted.

2) With Complete Wi-Fi we will be able to get wi-fi around the home - i appreciate it sounds tough!  but we've trialled it in thousands of homes now and it will get wi-fi to every room.  Even big houses with thick walls.

3) It's best to locate the Wi-Fi Disc between the Smart Hub 2 and the location the Dad / Son will use most - ideally a couple of walls away if you're not able to use the app (you can check the wi-fi using your other apps anyway so sure you'll figure out a great place)

So you will then effectively have 2 wi-fi networks for the home

1) Dad / Son - using Smart Hub 2 and Wi-Fi disc (s) if needed

2) Lodger - using powerline wi-fi repeaters and different id

It should be fine - I'll leave it to the guys on the forum to help you tweak further if needed 🙂

Cheers

Luke

Devices expertLukeB
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
GamingPc321
Aspiring Contributor
Message 237 of 347

Thanks to you both for continued assistance.

I am curious about one thing.. can the disk be accessed via a web browser the same as the router?

And/or can it be accessed via direct ethernet cable connection to a laptop before any prior setup?

Having looked at the permissions that are required by the BT app, I do not really want to use it.  We're all different I guess.

Thanks again guys.

0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 238 of 347

Hi @GamingPc321 - the Disc doesnt have it's own settings.  It reuses those on the Smart Hub 2 once they've been paired together.

And, yes, you can see / change it's settings when you connect to the Hub using a web-browser.  So you can manage it from there without downloading the app.

Cheers

Luke

Devices expertLukeB
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
GamingPc321
Aspiring Contributor
Message 239 of 347

Thanks again Luke for a prompt response.

I will bare it all in mind when I begin testing around lunchtime.

All the best.

0 Ratings
Moe70
Contributor
Message 240 of 347

I had to get a new TV for my living room so I bought a Smart TV so that I can watch the iPlayers on the TV instead of using my iPad. I ordered the service using the BT app, but got sent a new old type hub. I  went to the Internet BT website and ordered the BroadbandPlus hub and disc, which arrived quite quickly, returning the old and wrong hubs. I put the new hub on a glass shelf in the kitchen and put the disc upstairs in the living room (the house is a 3-floored town house). I had to use the Ethernet cable connected to the hub and disc as instructed to connect the hub signal. I originally put the disc on the side table in the living room where I sit, but watching the BBC iPlayer, half-way through, the picture kept losing the signal. I re-read the instructions and moved the disc in the room, got a better signal but still kept losing the signal on the iplayer. One thing the instructions did say it didn't like water, so it must have been the fish tank upsetting the signal. I decided to put the disc on a table on the hallway landing and I can now watch the iplayer all the way through a programme. I found the instructions helpful and easy to understand. Being a pensioner, I'm hoping I can afford the rise when it goes up in 19 months time. If it becomes too expensive, I will get rid of the BT phone as I rarely use that anyway. 

0 Ratings