cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnmpreston
Beginner
Message 241 of 347

VHF radio interference from black disc

A problem that I suspect may be connected to other users problems with BT TV. Recently upgraded broadband and a disc range extender was provided. The disc does the job it is supposed to do fine, but at the cost of severe interference with our VHF radion signal. As we rely on VHF radio for a radio clock alarm (we cannot receive a DAB signal), I've had to resort to switching the disc off at bedtime in order to hear the radio next morning. Has anyone met the problem and any suggestions for resolution?

Using new smart hub 2 and black extender disc. (I was advised to repost on this thread ). Am about to try moving the disc to another room.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 242 of 347

Re: Introducing Complete Wi-Fi from BT

@johnmpreston

It would be best if you edited your subject line, to match the name of this thread. I moved your post here, as you had originally started a new thread

0 Ratings
spoke
Aspiring Contributor
Message 243 of 347

I upgraded a few weeks ago and installed the Smarthub 2 and immediately noticed that my speeds dropped on Speedtest and on the local network, both wired and wireless. The family started compaining about delays before web pages started loading. In the end I switched back to my old Smarthub 1 and the problem on my netwrok was immediately fixed and web pages started loading instantly on all devices.

I can keep using the old hub but am missing out on the disc which was needed to extend the signal to other parts of a very old, thick walled, house.

Is there anything I can do to the Smarthub 2 to get rid of this latency?

0 Ratings
GamingPc321
Aspiring Contributor
Message 244 of 347

Well, having set up my mates new smart hub 2 and WiFi disk, I can only say I am not impressed, I think the issue is because it is a WiFi repeater which connects back to the main hub via WiFi itself, which has proven quite poor..

The main hub is located downstairs in my mates room, I connected the disk and allowed it chance to copy the settings, (which took two attempts, although I will put this down to teething problems). I placed the disk on the same floor at the rear of the house, in direct line of sight of the main hub with only 2, old fashioned, glass interior doors between them, the doors are not always closed. I choose this position as to allow better access to the internet in the garden, what with summer around the corner, no doubt folks will spend more time outdoors.. But sadly, it's rubbish... The speed obtained is significantly slower than the 150Mbps that the hub outputs.. the disk manages around 50.., below are some of my theory's..

I have plenty of experience fixing computers and laptops for folks and troubleshooting network issues..

Using WiFi analysis tools from my android smart gaming  phone and my gaming laptop, (both have the hardware capabilities to work at the top speed), I can see many more wireless networks than a usual windows 10 WiFi scan will show..    I can see what the strengths of each network are and what channels they are on..  this allows me to then turn off  'Smart Wifi' and allocate a specific channel to the wifi, both 2.4 & 5GHz,

However, I cannot see the disk, I have followed the instructions to the letter and the light is solid blue, the reason I cannot see the disk, in my opinion, is that it has copied the WiFi channel and not just the network name and password, this is a significant issue as the troubleshooting process falls down at this point... 

Any WiFi repeater that outputs same WiFi channel is gonna create problems not fix them, as a device won't know when to recognise which is the better signal and reconnect accordingly.  one requires the ability to set the WiFi disk as a totally separate device which just acts as an access point, I would like to know if it is possible to do that?

If it isn't possible, its just a fancy paper weight, with a blue light!

(I don't want to use the WiFi app so don't offer that please, it wants too many permissions.)

Again, with regards to the way the disk works, I have actually manage to set up, using Powerline adapters, a homehub3 in my mates shed!!!

Using a totally separate name and password, our phones switch 'instantly' to the hub 3 when in the garden! I will admit at this stage that the speed obtained is significantly limited due to the length length of wiring the signal must travel down, I would guesstimate that there is at least 20metres of internal house wiring to negotiate, plus the shed that is another 10-12 metres down the garden and has its own fuse box and is just connected at the house with a 3-pin plug, but the 1st gen Powerline adapters still get a signal there, given it maybe slower but the principal test shows it works far better than the disk! There's no doubt in my mind that, if we used a far newer Gigabit capable set of Powerline adapters with cat6a shielded cables that we could achieve much better speeds... From the shed for crying out loud!

Plus, I'm curious to know how effective a HomeHub 5 would be with the new ultrafast, as at my own home, on standard by fibre broadband, I did away with the Hub6 in favour of a hub5, because as soon as we plug a Hub6 in, we lose 15-25% of overall broadband speed, plugging the hub5 back in instead and bang we right back up again!

I mean no disrespect to those who work on this forum, but I'm absolutely astonished at the poor quality of the latest gadgets from BT.. very sad indeed... And my mate got bamboozled into paying more a month for this smarthub-2 and WiFi disk. It beggars belief...

And then to run salt in the wound, when the engineer came round to set it up, and I made damn sure I was present for the 'switch on', he suddenly tells us after its at 150mbps that he can do a test to see if we can get more...

I asked "and if it does my mate gets that speed for free does he?". "no" he said, "it'll probably be another couple of quid"!! chuckling!!

Ha unbelievable!! So the infrastructure is there and then they con you out of more! Please! If it can go that quick then it should do! Nevermind another couple of quid indeed!

Whatever happened to the promise of more speed for free years ago!?

I remember seeing the letters and emails people used to get...

"When a better speed is available to you, you'll get it for free"

Yeah right, a couple of quick advertising and name changes and the once free broadband speed upgrade is now charged at extra... £60 a month!! Really!!

I mean don't get me wrong, I understand something's require a bit of a price change, but to go up to 150mbps for more money and then be told that you can actually get 331 after that. Talk about dangling carrots..

I dunno! What's the point!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 245 of 347

Hi @johnmpreston - VHF radio / Wi-Fi can interfere with each other.  I'll ask one of my team to reach out to you and see if anything can be done to hep with your current devices.

Hi @spoke - I'll get one of our team to look into it.  Your speeds shouldn't be worse with the Smart Hub 2 vs Smart Hub.

Hi @GamingPc321- happy for some of our technicla leads to chat through your mates setup.  We definately should be able to get a better full home coverage with clear line of sight the disc should have been running well over 600+ even in real world conditions so should have passed on all available input network speed from the hub.

Some of our team work on the global wi-fi standards - they're a great team, know their stuff and will be happy to help - sorry we couldn't sort you out first time.  Hopefully a quick chat can sort it and it would be great to hear your thoughts.

The mods will reach out for your details and the team will be in touch,

Devices expertLukeB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Oemoore64
Aspiring Contributor
Message 246 of 347

So it seems from just talking to support that despite having complete wifi since November 28th, the system says I don't have it so no diagnostics can be run against my line which is a pain as one of my discs is now refusing to connect, luckily the nice person on the support line is going to try and send a new one out.
If only this wasn't the Third time I have had problems in getting my account validated to get service I'd be happier.
Also explains why you couldn't connect to my hub to check my setup as one system says I have complete wifi and one doesn't, so how long will it take you to resolve this
0 Ratings
Message 247 of 347

Hi @johnmpreston @spoke @GamingPc321

I have sent each of you a private message with instructions on how you can send us over your details.

Cheers,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
GamingPc321
Aspiring Contributor
Message 248 of 347

@RobbieMac

Hi there,

Thanks for your continued support.

I am aware of the private message you have sent with customer details request.

As it is my friend that I am trying to help, I will have to wait until I can see him, this afternoon or this evening.

I hope that is ok and there is no time window for reply.

I will of course, contact you as soon as I am able to do so.

Thanks again

0 Ratings
johnmpreston
Beginner
Message 249 of 347

Re: VHF radio interference from black disc

Thanks to snippets of ideas from contributors, and also from a lady on the chat line (Selina I think), I've got a workaround. By moving the disc to another bedroom, which puts two stone walls between it and our radio, that has killed the interference, while at the same time we're getting a decent WiFi signal - whether because of, or despite, the disc, I haven't established.

To be honest, I've struggled to find my way round this site, and I've no understanding of the proper etiquete, so please accept my apologies. In case it helps anyone else, the disc was originally placed just under 1 metre from our VHF radio. I was however more than a little concerned that a BT product could cause such serious interference. 

Now I can't find how I mark my problem as solved. Please would someone do that for me.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 250 of 347

Re: VHF radio interference from black disc

@johnmpreston wrote:

T

Now I can't find how I mark my problem as solved. Please would someone do that for me.

This is a large thread started by SeanD, so there is no need to mark anything as solved.

To keep the thread on the main topic, I will add a follow on post.

0 Ratings