Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 391 of 471

Re: Introducing Complete Wi-Fi from BT

@lnajr02wrote:

Complete Wi-fi you subscribe to the service and it uses the BT hub as the first disc. BT will provide the first two discs to get Wi-fi in every room. The hub and discs remain BT property.  The Whole Home (White discs) you purchase and you have to have the first disc connected to the Hub using an Ethernet cable, but you own the product and could connect to any service provider.

I know all this, I have after all used Wholehome WiFi since shortly after its release. I also know all about “renting” BT Complete WiFi. What I really want to know (and I’m yet to have my question answered) is if there is any technical advantage to Complete WiFi. I can see a huge disadvantage in cost i.e. £240 just for the initial contract period which is then ongoing against a one off cost of £170 for the Wholehome 3 disk setup. 

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 392 of 471

I’m assuming from the lack of any further responses there is no real technical difference between BT Wholehome and BT Complete WiFi. Apart from no initial financial outlay with Complete WiFi I do wonder why anyone would choose this option. 

0 Ratings
supertedster
Contributor
Message 393 of 471

Well, apart from maybe not having to shell out hundreds of pounds, to buy outright. 

Not having the "complete wifi guarantee" to fall back on.

If it breaks then BT replace it.

Not adding to the pile of obsolete, junk, routers stashed away in sheds and cupboards!

A few reasons there for you?

Cheers
Ted
0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 394 of 471

@supertedsterwrote:

Well, apart from maybe not having to shell out hundreds of pounds, to buy outright. 

Not having the "complete wifi guarantee" to fall back on.

If it breaks then BT replace it.

Not adding to the pile of obsolete, junk, routers stashed away in sheds and cupboards!

A few reasons there for you?

Nothing you have written has anything to do with the respective systems technical abilities. You may not have an initial financial outlay but the ongoing costs far far outweigh the £170 for Wholehome.  Wholehome may never break and go on into obsolescence. As for WiFi guarantee, well you would know pretty quickly if WH would do the job and if not return it and get your money back.  In my opinion this is just a nice little earner for BT. 

0 Ratings
Gwyndy
Contributor
Message 395 of 471

The Complete WiFi option was a 'no brainer' for me. I renegotiated my contract with BT a few days ago and am now paying less for my broadband and phone. I have a new SmartHub2, 2 repeater discs and total wifi coverage throughout the house. It hasn't cost me a penny in capital outlay. What's not to like!

0 Ratings
supertedster
Contributor
Message 396 of 471

I think if you are going to use the Smart Hub 2 then the "Complete Wifi" makes some sense, seeing as they are designed to work together. #

Maybe best to use the "Whole home" kit with a 3rd party router.

Cheers
Ted
0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 397 of 471

@Gwyndywrote:

The Complete WiFi option was a 'no brainer' for me. I renegotiated my contract with BT a few days ago and am now paying less for my broadband and phone. I have a new SmartHub2, 2 repeater discs and total wifi coverage throughout the house. It hasn't cost me a penny in capital outlay. What's not to like!

What’s not to like is you’re paying £10 a month to rent Complete WiFi, the cost is never ending and unlike the Wholehome disks they won’t work with any other ISP. I can move to any ISP and my disks will still work. The very modest outlay makes them a no brainer, equivalent to 17 months rental for Complete WiFi but with no lock-in. 

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 398 of 471

It's actually much worse than I thought. I have just received an upgrade offer from BT that's left me in complete shock. I currently have Fibre2 and pay £29 per month unlimited. The offer for Halo1 with Complete WiFi would bump that up to a staggering £62 per month on a 24 month contract. The few included extras with Halo1 would be of no real benefit as I'm pretty tech savvy and no longer have BT Mobile.  I can actually purchase Complete WiFi online brand new (BT Smarthub2 and one black disk) for just shy of £200.  That equates to 7 months of the BT contract. In my opinion this product is incredibly poor value for money and appears to have no technical advantage over Wholehome, less so if you add in the latest Tri-band Wholehome disks. 

0 Ratings
lnajr02
Recognised Expert
Message 399 of 471

The hub and discs provided by BT remains BT property check your T's and C's if you don't return you are charged. 

lnajr02
Recognised Expert
Message 400 of 471

I think the only technical advantage is scheduling and control of devices example turn kids internet off at night.  And some advance controls that are not currently available on BT complete WIFI .  If it's just WIFI coverage and mesh working it's the same.

0 Ratings