cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arfurdent
Aspiring Contributor
Message 431 of 476

Re: Introducing Complete Wi-Fi from BT

I used to be a network engineer and I am unimpressed with the throughput connectivity of the black discs. So much so I have used wired connections to each to improve the bandwidth back to the router.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 432 of 476

@TheSeasider  or you could argue that by hardwiring everything you are going forward to the past. 😀

0 Ratings
arfurdent
Aspiring Contributor
Message 433 of 476

if the meshing worked better it would not be required

0 Ratings
Gwyndy
Contributor
Message 434 of 476

The installation of two of the black discs has transformed the WiFi coverage in my home. The meshing works seemlessly and throughput speeds are fine whether devices are connected to the router or to one of the discs. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones!

0 Ratings
RodoRod
Contributor
Message 435 of 476

Ditto - also having one in the Hall has enables the installation of a Ring Doorbell which would never have had a Wi-Fi signal otherwise - used in conjunction with Powerline adaptors for BT TV box a long way from the router works fine.......... Kept me at BT on renewal, otherwise I would have looked elsewhere...
0 Ratings
TheSeasider
Contributor
Message 436 of 476

Very True Jim-lad But if "it Works" then "it Works" ..... Far too much "emphasis" put on "wifi" these days .. Usually the Old Methods are the best !!
0 Ratings
Andy9164
Aspiring Contributor
Message 437 of 476

I have no complaints. I live in a "long" Bugalow. My router is in the middle, I have one black disc in a bedroom at one end and another black disc in a hallway at the other. Always have great connections.

The one in the bedroom even reaches as far as my man hut which is 25m away at the bottom of the garden and I can stream from my Sky Q, stream from local media server inside the house and even play on my PS4 with absolutely no problems.

0 Ratings
Gwyndy
Contributor
Message 438 of 476

I tried a well known make of powerline adapters but my broadband speed progressively reduced. After several visits from BT / Openreach they discovered that the adapters were causing huge noise problems on my mains wiring which were being picked up by their systems. Once removed and the system reset my speed reverted to the maximum that can be expected for my location and the condition of the underground cables (aluminium) and has remained stable ever since. In fact it has actually increased in recent months. I do have Cat6 cabling from the router to the TV box but the WiFi discs have solved all other connectivity problems.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 439 of 476

@Gwyndy  I would have thought the powerline adapters were struggling due to mains interference, not that the powerline adapters were the cause of said interference. 

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 440 of 476

@TheSeasider  how are those gas lights working out for you? 😊

0 Ratings