Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
poster2015
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Is HH5 really THAT bad ?

Hi,

I'm actually a plusnet fibre customer and have seen BT homehub5 (both Type A or B) for sale for £30 on ebay.

Ive got the Technicolour 582 N router which was supplied by plusnet.  With the features/spec, I would have thought the HH5 would be a magitutde better.     Gigabyte ports, AC Wireless, Dual band, integrated modem - all for £30.  But hacing looekd it on, it most are saying they wouldn't touch it with a bargepole, some are saying its not even worth the £7 delivery cost !

Is it really THAT bad ?  I just want a connection as stable as it is now, along with hopefully better wireless range/performance. I thought surely thats possible with the HH5, over the single band N only router I have ?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Is HH5 really THAT bad ?

This forum is for BT Broadband customers.

If you look on thr Plusnet forum, you will find many discussions about the HH5.

Enter HH5 on this search page http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?action=search2

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 3 of 7

I went from BT (using HH3) to Plusnet (who gave me a 582 but I still used the HH3) back to BT (HH5 this time). I did have a few days of Plusnet/HH5 just before the move completed.

My very brief tests showed the HH3 and 582 pretty much equal at wireless, and the HH5 is marginally better than either, especially for devices that can use the extra band.

My only complaint against the HH5 for our usage is that I don't like the face that the DNS server addresses are locked. We often have 5 or so computers, a tablet or two, a few phones and a streaming stick connected.

I also found the HH5 modem gave pretty much equivalent connection the HG612 did; even though I have an HH5a connected to Huwei cabinet. For me now that is not too important as I am on 40/10 with a line that gets close to 80/20.
0 Ratings
poster2015
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Hi, thanks for the info

What do locked DNS Servers mean, what can't I do?

Im surprised that going from a single band N 300 router gives the same performance as a dual band AC router !  I mean in terms of range/performance especially given that its dual band and hoping that operating at 5Gz would mean alot less interferance - that alone should improve wireless  - So I thought.

Maybe I am expecting too much from dual band AC, over a single band N, or the HH5 is rubbish ?!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

@poster2015 wrote:

Hi, thanks for the info

What do locked DNS Servers mean, what can't I do?

You can't change DNS servers on the Hub, if you want to use different DNS servers you will have to change each device individually.

0 Ratings
poster2015
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Ok, for my needs it should be fine then.

Anyone else have thoughts on the wireless performance, is it really only as good as average N router, or a tiny bit better ?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

A lot of the HH5 problems seem to be caused by the onboard modem and that the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz frequencies share the same SSid (name). The "smart set up" also causes problems for wireless devices that do not use a browser.

If you use the Openreach modem, turn off "smart set up" and split the 24Ghz and 5Ghz frequencies and give then separate SSids you will probably find that the HH5 is not to bad but it is certainly not a "magnitude" better than the average router.

0 Ratings