cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Is IPV6 Broken right now?

Go to solution

Hi, I'll cut right to the chase I used to use A BT Smart hub type A with ADSL and used to be able to receive an IPV6 address but since the latest firmware update for the smart hub I cant seem to to get an IPV6 Address. I thought at first it was just my hub or adsl connection but last weekend I stayed at my brothers who has fibre and a Smart hub type A. He actually gets the advertised speed of 80/20Mbps since he lives right beside the fibre cabinet but a look into his router settings showed that his hub had updated to the latest firmware and IPV6 was no longer available(before it always used to be enabled and working). I tried a factory reset on both our hubs but still no ipv6 available. It shows the Hubs ipv6 status as enabled but ipv6 network status as disabled. Today is what actually began my suspicions about the whole ipv6 being broken because I bought a TP-Link Archer D7 which has ipv6 Supported and I set it up with PPPoE which has the option for IPV6 and it shows the IPV4 connected but the WANIPV6 as "connecting" and does not want to connect. I also dont want to keep resetting because I'm on a 3db noise margin with Fast path and it is stable and as a gamer I don't want interleaving enabled. I live in the Scottish Islands "Isle of Lewis" so I'm not sure if its just a whole area thing or most of/all the BT network.

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Liam_
Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Is IPV6 Broken right now?

Go to solution

Welcome to the forum.

If the Archer has the latest firmware then it's likely just a local issue.  IPv6 has been working without any issues since around April 2016 here in Alexandria.  TP-Link had early issues with IPv6 but they quite quickly rolled out firmware fixes, especially for the most recent kit.  So it will likely resolve itself in time.  Doubt theres much point in reporting it on the help line, going by what I read on the forum they don't have much of a clue regarding IPv6.

0 Ratings
GeneralDisquiet
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

George,

IPv6 appears to be broken on the Shrewton exchange as of this evening.  I dont use the HH.  Instead I have a standalone Draytek modem coupled to an Apple Time Capsule Router.   This is telling me that there is an error with the [BT] IPv6 relay router and to wait for the service to be restored and try the connection again.   So nothing to do with HH, but everything to do with a failed BT relay router.

"To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
-- Michel de Montaigne, Essays, 1559

0 Ratings
Highlighted
ferncot
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

I am also having problems with IPv6. When I replaced my HomeHub with an Apple Airport Extreme last year, all was working well. But for the last few months I have had the IPv6 Relay Error message flagged in Airport Utility.

IPv6 Relay Error

There was an error with the IPv6 relay router. Wait for the service to be restored and try again. Contact your service provider if the problem persists.

I am on Fibre 2 direct to the house and the Airport Extreme is connected directly to the Openreach modem. I keep searching for help, but everything seems to point to problems at BT.

I would welcome any suggestions.

0 Ratings
ferncot
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Liam - I should have taken your advice - I have just spent a painful hour on the online chat about this issue. I thought I would share the transcript with anyone interested:

Transcript removed by Moderator

I know I was being a bit of an **bleep**, but really, is it just me?

0 Ratings
ferncot
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Okay apparently I can't share the transcript of my chat, I'm sure BT can for 'Customer Service Reasons', but I can't!!!

So the highlights are:

Their first response was if the internet is working it must be the router that is at fault, so contact Apple. When I wouldn't accept that without clarification and a guarantee that IPv6 was active, I was told that the chat connection had been lost (which it hadn't), then a manager intervened and when pressed stated; and I quote:

"We are from the technical team however we are not trained on IPv6."

"We (BT) do not have anyone trained on IPv6."

I find it difficult to believe that second statement, but a sad confession for any technical support person to make, in my view!

0 Ratings
ePatryk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution
Hey Ferncot,

I am in similar situation to yours. My IPv6 stopped working after I upgraded to a new contract. Customer Support is useless.

Did you fix the problem already? I'd love to have IPv6 back.
0 Ratings
ferncot
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution
Hi ePatryk
unfortunately no, I gave up after a further telephone conversation with BT, who told me that I was asking for something that didn't exist and IPv6 was just a way to connect to your printer! Afraid I am waiting for a more technically able user to take on the battle.
let me know if you get anywhere.
0 Ratings