cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Is This Setup Doable??

Hi folks, I'm looking to switch to BT after a grim time with Virgin.  Mainly due to poor WiFi coverage and  lengthy outages.

I have a phone line in the front room where we have a TV.  We have an extension at the back which also has a TV but poor WiFi in this area.

I've been told BT will add one additional phone line free of charge.

My plan is to have this new phone line in the rear extension to improve WiFi here (we usually watch TV and stream here). I want the TV hub thing in the front room NOT connected by Ethernet, so linked via WiFi.

I intend to get the new disc set up (effectively a mesh I believe) to ensure good WiFi throughout the house.

Can this be done as part of a standard set up?

Thanks,

Paul

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 2 of 6

Re: Is This Setup Doable??

Sorry, to clarify:

Hub in the rear extension, TV box in front room connected to hub by WiFi.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 6

@Fearthegrimp 

The TV box (Youview) doesn't have a wifi connection, it's only a hardwired ethernet connection.

Powerline Adapters can work well depending on your mains circuitry and provide hardwired ethernet to the Youview box. That'll work in most situations.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Hmm, so I could try my plan with a powerline adapter and if all else fails I could move it into the front room and use the disc mesh to ensure a good connection in the rear extension?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 6

@Fearthegrimp 

Is the extension on the same mains ring as the front room or if you have a split load consumer unit is it on the same half of that?

If the answer is yes then powerline adapters should work just fine.

I'm not sure about the new phone line you're referring to, is it a new line (therefore new number) or just extending the existing connection?

Personally I'd probably keep the router at the front and take steps to improve the rear's wifi by some form of wifi extender.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Hi, it's on a different circuit but on the same ring (the extension sockets have their own breaker). I think this new BT disc system should ensure good coverage all around the house?  I see you can get TP Link mesh system for around £100 which works out cheaper than £10 extra per month on an 18/24 month contract for the BT one. Is there any difference in performance?

0 Ratings