cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gormsgast
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Is Win 10 causing my problems

Since accepting the Win10 download (too late now to revert back to7) I have been getting lots of niggling and frustrating problems.....

1) the loading symbol goes on forever at times....

2) some web sites are jerky.....

3) when typing on web forms or in my e-mails, sometimes the letters/words take several seconds to appear, and on occasion I'll hit a key, and the whole lot dissappears.

The last successful B/Band test saw my download speed around 4Mbs. I have tried again but it is telling me it can't proceed, and get int touch with BT. I won't do that, because in the past I always get someone from some far flung place on the planet of whom I can't understand, they are always very polite and want to help, but I never really get anywhere.

I'm thinking of changing ISP to Virgin or some other provider because quite simply BT is a current disaster in getting things sorted satifactorily.

What was wrong with the old B/Band test? I simply put in my phone number clicked on start, and it went through the process, not now with there new fangled test your speed site.

PS.....I did a factory reset a couple of weeks ago, in case it was my laptop playing up re' all the problems, but they still persist!

PPS.....I have Netflix, and don't experience any problems watching films etc i.e no buffering!

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Is Win 10 causing my problems

If you still have your Win 7 installation media, then you could reformat the computer and re-install Win 7, and then block any updates. There may also be a factory reset option on your computer.

It looks more like an issue with Win 10, which does download and upload a lot of stuff in the background, and is most likely affecting the speedtest results.

gormsgast
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

As  I stated, I did a Factory reset (is that the same as "formatting?) However, I thought it may have given me back Win7 but when it finished resetting, it was with the current Win10.

I'll go and block updates to see if that makes a difference....otherwise it is a club hammer job on the laptop..lol

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

A manufacturer's factory reset shout restore it to the state when you fist bought it, but will remove any user files.

If it had Win 7 on it, then it should restore it to that state.

You may have been provided with a recovery CD, which does the same thing.

Blocking updates will not help you if you are already on Win 10.

Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

Can you use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
0 Ratings