Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brian9988
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Is it possible to block an IP address from my network e.g. Fortnite servers

Go to solution

Hello looking to see if its possible to block the IP addresses from my home network in order to stop my ASD sons Fortnite connection, dont want to stop his xbox completey just this one game.

I know how to block devices on the router settings but was wondering if there is any way of stopping just this one game

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
alexmc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: Is it possible to block an IP address from my network e.g. Fortnite servers

Go to solution
If Fortnite is anything like my at other multiplayer games, there will be hundreds of different servers and related IP addresses.
Blocking the IP of the server he uses will likely just send him to another.
You will probably have to find another method of blocking Fortnite. Googling it seems to indicate it's difficult at a router level. You may have to just restrict hi s internet access on that Xbox according to time in parental controls?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Start by blocking epicgames.com on BT Parental controls. You could also try disabling UPnP on the home hub.

A better option would be to use a different router, and block it on the router firewall. You can also add other web adresses or IP addresses on the router firewall. You can also control access times to specific websites only. It involves a bit more of a setup, but is very effective.

You also need to block ports 9000-9020.

An alternative router would cost about £40.

0 Ratings
Brian9988
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

thanks for the info, in the past i have setup times to block the xbox at night, however he knows if he presses the reset button it goes back to the default logon settings and he will just unblock it. It also easier to make it look as though the connection issue is down to fortnite rather than us blocking it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

If its just an issue with one game, then you can implement rules to make it unplayable at certain times, however if he has physical access to the router, then he could reset it, but that would stop all Internet access, as on a third party router, the configuration would be lost, so he would be worse off.

The home hubs are different, as they will always work after a reset, as the configuration is locked.

On the third party router I suggested (TP-Link TD-W9970), provided you change the admin password to something that cannot be guessed, then there is no way he can change the settings.

You can backup the settings just in case he does do a factory reset.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
alexmc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

If he knows to reset the router, then the issue goes one of two ways I guess. Either as Keith suggests, change the router to one where resetting it won't then allow renewed access, or...... you have to approach the subject of discipline.

I wouldn't dare to judge you or your situation, as every ASD child is different. My lad is also ASD with Asperger's, and I use parental controls to control access to some websites, and the times which he has access to the internet. Without time control he would just play on the internet for 10 hours, sleep for 6, then return to another 10 hours online, then another 6 sleep... regardless of anything else! Every kid is going to be different.

Fortunately for me, my lad is just not technically minded, and has not figured out the reset button. It was very painful to do, but a while back we went through the process of asserting our control, and him not messing with stuff to suit himself.

It's very hard to judge with ASD kids, everyone else tells you all the classic discipline stuff, but more often than not it just doesn't work that way.

Hope you get it sorted, all the best.

0 Ratings
Brian9988
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution
thanks for the replies, we used to set the time limit on the router but he knows how to reset this. I went into the parental controls on my BT account settings and blocked "www.epicgames.com" and since then he hasn't been able to log onto Fortnite, all other games, Netflix & you Tube are ok on the Xbox so he doesn't think its anything we have done, therefore there hasn't been any meltdowns. Did this 5 days ago and he is a better person for it. Heard lots of parents complain about the affect this game has, its even worse with an ASD child.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

That seems to have done the trick Smiley Happy

0 Ratings