cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
treborgb
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Is my Smart Hub (with fibre) Faulty or Just Useless - Better Performance with Hub 4 & Copper!

After a long three year wait in what was a newbuild property, I now have fibre broadband and a Smart Hub. However compared to my old Home Hub 4, my Wi-Fi signal is now atrocious. I cannot complain about the speed, despite it already dropping from 73-70mb, however I am having no end of problems getting a good signal around my small 3 up, 2 down house with carboard thin walls, which quite probably are also made of cardboard.

For comparison, I can connect my iPhone via Bluetooth to my neighbours Bluetooth speaker, and that's through the more solid party wall but I struggle to get a good signal in the bedroom above the hub and terrible reception in the opposite bedroom. I have split the channels to 2.4 and 5 and connected to the least congested channels but am still having problems.

So , could the hub be faulty or is it simply a useless upgrade and should I revert back to using the Home Hub 4?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 4

Re: Is my Smart Hub (with fibre) Faulty or Just Useless - Better Performance with Hub 4 & Copper

Suggest you go back to the hub 4. A lot of people have had similar issues with the newer hubs. I had a hub 5 and have gone back to using a 3.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
jazzguy
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 4

Re: Is my Smart Hub (with fibre) Faulty or Just Useless - Better Performance with Hub 4 & Copper

@treborgb

A faulty Hub I suggest. The Smart Hub has its problems but the wi-fi is much better than the Hub 5, and comparable to some third party routers.

ISPs, BT included avoid guaranteeing wi-fi performance, but as it is the main sales point of the Smart Hub, I suggest you press for a replacement.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

When you say you have Fibre are you talking FTTP or just FTTC?

If it's FTTP then I'd use the HH4, just use a LAN Cable to connect to Port 1 of the ONT to the WAN Port of the HH4.

If you have FTTC then you'll need an Openreach DSL Modem to use the HH4.

Openreach don't supply these anymore, they stopped providing on new installs in April 2016 and stopped replacing faulty ones in April 2017.

You can still buy **Edited** ones from online auction sites though.

Problem with the HH6 it works on either end of one of two spectrums. That being it either works flawlessly or is a load of **bleep**.

0 Ratings