Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
offgridlee
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Is my home hub 4 faulty?

Go to solution
The other day, after not being able to connect to my security camera remotely via port forwarding I went to investigate why.
The hubs green light was on, I turned off the power and it connected with a steady blue light. All was well. However all the customised settings had disappeared so I had to load the backup bthub4.conf using the hub manager.
It was working ok for a couple of days but once again I cannot get into my security camera and I am thinking it has done its green light trick again.
I phoned Customer Service who said they could see the hub connected to the exchange from their end but when I did a speed check using the website, it says my hub needs to be connected to the internet to test the speed, so it's not connected it would seem.
When I logged into the hub manager the first time it went wrong, the dates in the error log went from 7th oct to 4th May then back to 7th Oct.
I can't give any further information from the error log as I am not at the hub now, it is remotely located at a different address which I have to travel 84 miles to sort it out.
The only thing the error log says was openrg is going down for reboot now.
It reconnected at 0kbps and then reconnected at around 7000kbps then shut down.
Do I just need to do a factory reset maybe?
Any advice would be appreciated especially as it lost all its settings without me even touching it.
0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Liam_
Expert
Message 2 of 15

Re: Is my home hub 4 faulty?

Go to solution

It is quite possible that a factory reset of the Hub will bring things back to normal.

Though considering your situation it may be worth while investing in a more robust third party router.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

I would try factory reset and if still problems then contact customer services and complain hub is faulty  should be replaced free if still in fixed term contract

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

Hi @offgridlee and welcome.

Can you try the reset as advised by @imjolly and @Liam_ and let us now if it helps.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
offgridlee
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution
Yes, I will try the reset next time I am at the property and let you know if it works or not.

Thanks.
0 Ratings
offgridlee
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

Just out of interest, if the home hubs are managed remotely by BT such as through TR-069, surely if a home hub is not functioning properly then BT should be able to force a remote restart?

Also, can BT customer services really see my hub connected at the exchange even though the BT speedtester/troubleshooter can't connect nor can the MY BT App, when I do a remote restart or speedtest it says something along the lines of restart failed - we think it might be a technical issue on our part.

Or were Customer services fobbing me off?

I've still not travelled to the property to manually restart it yet as I have been working.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

Its not a restart that is required, it is a factory reset that can only be performed manually by physically pressing the recessed button.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
offgridlee
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

Sorry, thats what I meant, a factory reset, my error.

0 Ratings
offgridlee
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

Sorry for not posting for a while, I've been keeping an eye on the hub and its been a mixture of success and failure.

I tried factory reseting the hub which worked for a few days then it went off again.

The last time it connected it only stayed on for 2 days.

I reset it again, it was on a steady green light again, it seems to reboot and get stuck on the reboot.

I've blanked out my dynamic dns address as a security measure on the screen shot.

If anyone knows what is happening, please let me know.

Other than that, everything seems fine, the broadband speed is good, no noise on the line.errorlog.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution
Check the various threads on a replacement router
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings