cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dave5
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Is my smart hub faulty

I am getting nearly 80mbps at my smarthub and yet the TV on Youview has had to re-buffer every evening this week and the speed of siganal to my computer varies from 48 to 80 percent all the time. I've checked all the issues in the BT Help like number of devices connected etc but to no efffect How can I verify that my Smart hub has itself NOTgot a fault

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Is my smart hub faulty

how are you connecting the hub to TV
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Hi @Dave5 and welcome.

I'm speculating here but it sound like your youview box is connected via powerline adaptors and your computer is possibly connecting via wireless. Would that be the case?

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Dave5
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Yes! You are spot on!

David
0 Ratings
Dave5
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Via Powerline adaptors. I know ethernet is best but the geography of my house makes that virtually impossible
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Thanks for getting back @Dave5.

You might want to try changing the wireless channel whcih should help with the connection to yuor computer. You'll get details on the at How do I change the wi-fi channel on my BT Hub?

It's worth trying to connect the youview box with a cable to rule out any issues with the adaptors.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Dave5
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Hi there

I replied to another chap that the geography of my house makes the ethernet option difficlult. I've had another look at it and I think I can find a feasible route for the cable  but I will have to drill through walls and it will have to be a big hole in order to accommodate the plug on the end of the cable provided by BT! As to the computer coonection I have replaced my wifi dongle which yesterday was much better than the old one, but today the reception is suddenly poor again (50%) and I have a message on my computer saying the device will be quicker if I change the connection to a high speed port. A window has opened which suggests I have such a port, but I can see nothing on the back of my desktop computer to indicate whcih one it is! Is this simply a matter of trial and error, and will it make any difference?

Yrs

David

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 8 of 12

It most likely refers to trying a USB3 port.  They are usually the blue ones.  Whether it will make the connection any faster is debatable, depends on the signal strength.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Dave5
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Thanks for this. You're right to be sceptical. I was not invited to change ports yesterday when the signal was good. Hence my original query. How can I test/check the efficacy of my Smarthub?
0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 10 of 12

You could try using something like inSSIDer to measure signal strength.

0 Ratings