cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bluebird99
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Is the BT Smart Hub really this bad?

I’ve been a BT customer for a long time & have gone through a range of hubs. I have a BT Hub 5 that works well. Steady connection with a split SSID. When re-contracting recently, I managed to get a Smart Hub for free plus P&P. I had paid for for a Smart Hub months earlier after release but returned after connectivity issues. However, the sales agent this time was very clear that the issues with the Smart Hub had been resolved. So today, I got my second Smart Hub & unplugged my Hub 5. Straight away there were issues with connectivity to my Apple devices and Sky Q Box. I switched off smart set up and tried to connect using the default single SSID. Sometimes devices connected, other times I would get ‘cannot join network’ or ‘incorrect password’. I then tried splitting the SSIDs into 2.4 & 5 ghz. Whilst I could connect to the 2.4 ghz, it was impossible to connect to 5 ghz - I kept being told the password was incorrect or the network was unavailable. If I did get a connection it was brief and would constantly drop out and reconnect over a few seconds. Talking to technical support was a waste of 3 hours of my life. Factory resets do nothing. No clue or real solutions as to why the Smart Hub was rejecting my password for 5 ghz SSID and not the 2.4 ghz. In the end, was given a credit to cover the P&P and plugged the Hub 5 back in. Within minutes back to stable, fast, split SSIDs. The bottom line is, have I been unlucky with 2 poor Smart Hubs, or is the product still not working as it should? Why does my Hub 5 just seem to work whilst the Smart Hub doesn’t? I have recontracted for 12 months, but i’m worried if my Hub 5 fails i’ll be stuck battling with a Smart Hub.
0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
bh8er
Contributor
Message 2 of 12

Re: Is the BT Smart Hub really this bad?

Have you got the latest firmware downdate? SG4B1000B316 issued a few moths back. Prior to this my HH6 was a source of misery and I was about to buy a third party device.

After that Firmware version downdate split SSID and speeds worked and have been troible free (so far).

Check your new devices firmware version.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

@Bluebird99

I have had a HH6 since inception (part of testing) and never had the problems you describe

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
dgw1
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 12

Does the smart hub have wifi mesh?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

Not sure what you mean, how can a standalone device have mesh?

0 Ratings
Bluebird99
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 12

It is really odd. I’ve been on the community pages enough to know that some Smart Hubs seems to work with no issues. However, other have reported connectivity issues from the start. I’m relatively technically competent but I just can’t understand why the Hub 5 just works, but straight from plugging in the Smart Hub I had problems. Technical support could not give me any reasons or explanations for why the Smart Hub rejected the password when trying to connected to 5ghz. Even before I split the SSIDs, sometimes it would reject the password & i’m convinced this was when the device was trying to connect to 5ghz. I entered the password multiple times. It might be that the Hub is faulty, but I think that perhaps the Smart Hub is just too ‘smart’ for its own good, or that there are significant manufacturing issues with some hubs. With regards to firmware, I was under the impression it was done automatically?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

@Bluebird99 wrote:
I With regards to firmware, I was under the impression it was done automatically?

It is, the user has no control over the firmware version.

0 Ratings
Bluebird99
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

If it updates automatically, I would have to put up with poor Wi-fi on the chance of an update at some point. I just worry that if my Hub 5 does, i’ll have to battle with a Smart Hub, or buy a router. Maybe i’ll be lucky next time!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

Indeed, that is the problem.

0 Ratings
dgw1
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 12

When you look at connected devices, does anything show up as "unknown". Does this hub have any powerline technology built into it?

0 Ratings