cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Is the Smart Hub 2 really this bad?

Go to solution

Hi

We upgraded from Full Fibre 1 to Full Fibre 100 yesterday and our upload speed didn't increase at all!

The WiFi is hopeless speedwise (up and down) even right next to the router so have plugged a LAN cable in to it. The upload speed is never going over 10Mbps so just tried an old Home Hub 4 in place of the Smart Hub 2 and the upload speed went straight up to 25Mbps!

Does anyone know a fix for the Smart Hub 2 (have seen that others have had similar issues but haven't come across a solution) or do we need to go back to using the router that we used to use 5 years ago?!

Any clues much appreciated - thanks.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Is the Smart Hub 2 really this bad?

Go to solution

OK, that was pretty obvious in hindsight! I had seen a few posts where people had said they had tried a factory reset of the hub and it didn't help so we didn't even try it but then I saw one that said it did sort the issue so we tried it. It The upload speed went straight to the 30Mbps that is estimated for Fibre 100 after the factory reset.

Hope this helps someone.

Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Something else that may help someone if they are thinking about whether they need to get a new router and happen to stumble on this thread...

With regard to my comment about the WiFi speeds being hopeless even right next to the router, I was assuming that devices with a 5GHz capable wireless network adapter would automatically switch to 5GHz when close to the router. This was not the case for any of our devices though. They were all connecting using 2.5GHz. Manual selection of 5GHz wireless mode in the wireless adapter settings on the devices doubled the WiFi speeds being obtained instantly.

Having 5GHz permanently selected in this way may not be any good if you want to connect to the router from a long distance like from the bottom of the garden but it works fine for us anywhere inside our house -speeds are pretty much the same as they are right next to the router in any room.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

One more comment on this because the way I originally set the wireless mode up on the windows 10 laptops was not the best way...

The best way to do it is to leave the wireless adapter switching between all available wireless modes automatically but set the "Preferred Band" option to 5GHz. That way they can still connect using the 2.4Ghz when required e.g. if taking the laptop down to the bottom of the garden.

0 Ratings