cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Is the smart home hub 2 terrible? WIFI WOES.

Evening all, 

My BT package started on the 10th June. I'm 2 weeks in and I'm less than amused. Sorry if there's any fat thumb typos. I am writing this on my mobile phone as every other device is now useless. 

I was told to leave the connection to 'settle' (what?) as my download speeds were terrible.

Nothing has changed.

I have noted that the connection to the smart hub is 39.999mb down and 9.99 up. However, all devices are struggling. All devices are sat next to the hub with full connectivity bars. 

My laptop speed test results (WiFi) are anything between 0.8 and 20mb download (with tests within minutes of each other. The upload speed never gets above 0.1 (normally 0.08).

My ps4 (wifi) download speeds is 5.2mb, upload is 300kb! (the speeds over ethernet via powerline are the same too. Comically hot spotting from my mobile gives its a 58mb download and 9mb upload)

The only device on the network that can actually get any download speed is my mobile despite it being sat next to the above laptop. Speed is consistent 30mb down and 8mb up.

Absolutely pulling my hair out with this now. Help! 

Prior to BT I was with PlusNet (same bt line) and had no issues with any device. The only thing changed is the 'hub'

I have tried factory resetting the hub. No change. 

I have disabled 5ghz and tried all devices connected via 2.4ghz. No chance. 

I have tried mode 2 and 3 for WiFi. No change.

This is appalling.

Please help 😔

Connection is also needed for working from Home. I'm just glad I have an unlimited data sim package and can hot-spot. 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Is the smart home hub 2 terrible? WIFI WOES.

A quick update today. It appears to be effecting anything on 2.4ghz.

Everything connecting to 5ghz appears to be fine. 

However turning 5ghz off does not rectify the issue for 2.4ghz, which still manages a massive upload speed of... 0.13gb. (over 5ghz it's 9.8gb)

This hub is pants. 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

This may or may not help your problem  but if you have not already done it make sure you turn off "smart setup" on the Smarthub.

See link how to do that.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub%3F-how-can-...

Also make sure that BT Web Protect is also turned off. It is turned on as the default. You can chack by going to your MyBT > Your Security

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Thank you for your reply.

It appears that all of the BT protect settings are already disabled for me, and the smart setup was already disabled too.

2.4ghz range is dead 🤷🏻‍♂️

Fortunately the work laptop, TV and my phone are all now working on 5ghz without issue. 

The ps4 seems to be holding up on ethernet, but is up and down. 

Personal laptop and anything else on 2.4ghz is pretty much unusable. 

As said above, if 5ghz is disabled everything is dead! 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

It may be that you have a faulty hub. Give BT 0800.800.150 a call and report a fault and they will no doubt offer a replacement hub. If they don't you should ask for one.

Don't be fobbed off with "let it settle". There is no settling in period. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Sympathy for Chris6316!

The smart home hub 2 IS terrible!

Identical experience now deeply regret the "downgrade".  Thankfully can hot-spot with phone. 

🤕

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Hello,

Have discovered devices connecting over 5ghz are fine. Ps4 now working (intermittently) well over ethernet.

Anything on 2.4ghz is useless.

This remains to be true even when 5ghz is disabled.

It has to be a firmware issue. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Hi @Chris6316 and thanks for posting.

Can you confirm which firmware version you're on?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Good evening,

Firmware version:0.26.04.04227- BT

Cheers,

Chris

0 Ratings