cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
martybee
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Is there a Ghost/ET Switching on my BT Broadband ?!!!

Hi All,

My first post here with  a somewhat spooky question. Last night, as usual, I religiously switched off my BT hub at the back button, logged off and shut down my pc, switched off monitor. All lights out, all shut down. Beddy byes...

This morning I awoke to find everything ON - BT Hub, server switch, screen,  the lot, with screensaver up and running !!!!

Alone in the building, how is this possible ? Can BT, for whatever reason, remotely switch on equipment ? Or am I dealing with ET not BT ?!!

I definitely remember shutting everything down last night. Has anyone else on here had this  problem ?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Is there a Ghost/ET Switching on my BT Broadband ?!!!

No, but routers are intended to be left on 24/7 not powered off.

0 Ratings
martybee
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Hmmm...still does not answer the question. I don't mind switching router on each morning...takes about two minutes to activate and go "blue".

So how could it have turned itself on ?!! Would BT have any record as to what time after 1am this morning the router was activated ?

0 Ratings
barnpiece
Expert
Message 4 of 9

It cannot turn itself on, neither can your PC if it was fully shut down and not just suspended.

You can check the router uptime by browsing bthomehub.home to find out how long the router has been running since being turned on.

Richard

0 Ratings
lnajr02
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 9

My understanding is the BT / EE HUB's have push-to-make, push-to-break' switch to turn on the power. so it can't be turned on with out a physical push of the button, if you are looking to turn off you could turn on and off using a time power switch, however the Broadband connection requires some learning time to improve is speed, you may find sometimes the DSL doesn't come back up.
Have a look at the logs. also if you have kids did they turn it back on ?
0 Ratings
wisty
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Did you have a power cut during the night?

Not sure what BT hubs do in the event of a power cut, as they seem to have a very positive on/off switch. However PC's (and other electronics) tend to have electronic control of power with the power switch on a PC just a signal to the motherboard to power on/off. Often they have a setting in the BIOS controlling what they do when the power comes back on. If yours is set up to restart when the power is restored, that could explain the PC and possibly the server switch and monitor. It may be that the monitor wakes up when it gets a signal from the PC.

Try it. Switch off. Disconnect power, wait a few minutes and reconnect the power.

Tonight switch it all off at the wall. If it's on tomorrow  you have ET!

gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

BT can not  remotely turn on a hub that has been turned off nor can BT power on a PC and monitor.

You either did not turn it all off as you think you did or somebody has turned it all back on. Do you sleep walk?

0 Ratings
Moggy56
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Wouldn't it be better to use the BT Access control rather than turning on and off, just a suggestion.....
0 Ratings
martybee
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Many thanks to all for your very interesting and useful replies, wow this thread has turned into something hasn't it ?!!

A few answers - No, no kids so that is not the explanation. No cat or dog either.

No, I do not sleepwalk.

This, incidentally has happened once before a few months ago.

Locked and checked both doors last night so I can't see it being a burglar (if it later turns out to be...this is evidence). 

As chance would have it I was reading "A New World" by Whitley Strieber in bed last night ( he's the guy that claims he has had actual contact with ET in his books & Film "Communion" etc. Several of his readers have claimed that reading his work has "put them in touch"...but...hmmmmm...)

One terrestrial explanation maybe a letter I had in the post this week from  Virgin (the company) referencing network expansion informing our street that they are carrying out works in the area to enable faster broadband, installing fibre optic cable.  Now, this explanation may well satisfy the likes of young Inspector Morse in his "Endeavour"  . But as someone said on this thread, it is impossible to turn on the router without physically depressing the black button.

And last but not least, I definitely DID turn everything off last night and double checked it as I always do.

The mystery continues...

0 Ratings