cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
richie40
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Is there a list of 'Event Log' enteries that I should be aware of as malicious activity?

Go to solution

Hi,

I was looking through a few of the posts on here and noticed posts about event logs on the BT HomeHub.

I was wondering if there is a list of specific 'Event Log' enteries that I should be aware of that could be malicious activity?

If there is specific enteries that could be malicious activity is there a way of using Microsoft 'Event Viewer' of 'System Monitor' to send me a message when this malicious activity is taking place?

Also I noticed on my laptop that when I was looking in WiFi Status that there was a massive difference in the bytes sent and recieved. I think it was something like 600,000 sent and 6000,000 recieved. I looked in the BT HomeHub Event Log and there was a load of enteries for the following:

11:41:42,12 Feb. PortMapping Delete By UPNP/TR064 Success.

11:41:02,12 Feb. PortMapping Add By UPNP/TR064 Success.

The only thing I've done recently is install WAMP for a local test server to view website being designed in PHP. I wanted to view the websites on my other devices so I allowed WAMP through my microsoft firewall. I have dissalowed WAMP through the firewall now and the PortMapping messsages in BT HomeHub Event Log have seemed to have stopped.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Is there a list of 'Event Log' enteries that I should be aware of as malicious activity?

Go to solution

Disable uPnP, restart the hub, and the entries should stop. Then see if any programs you have installed, stop working properly.

If everything works as normal, then leave uPnP disabled.

"Is there anyway of setting up Microsoft ‘Event Viewer’ or ‘System Monitor’ to flag up this malicious activity and send me a message to make me aware of these?"

No, but I would not worry about them, as the home hub firewall is there to preven intrusions.

0 Ratings
richie40
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Re: Is there a list of 'Event Log' enteries that I should be aware of as malicious activity?

Go to solution

So there's nothing to worry about in the fact that WiFi Status activity is showing a lot more received bytes than sent? Sorry my technical knowledge is very bad. This is I guess the bytes received is just the information sent for me to be able to view specific websites? I guess I would need to be concerned if lots more bytes were sent than received which could indicate a 'malicious bit of malware or bot'?

Is there's no specific list of event log entries I should be aware of that could be malicious activity?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

You will always receive more than you send, that is the nature of web browsing.

0 Ratings