cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnson65
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Is there a router out there which will run on VDSL like my old Netgear DG834 did on ADSL?

Go to solution

In the dim & distant past I used to run a Netgear DG834 and IMHO it was probably the best router I have owned. Sadly it met its end when being used by a relative. I think a power spike bricked it.

Anyhow I was wondering if anyone out there knows of a similarly configurable and not dumbed down VDSL router for use on Infinity.

IMHO the Smart (sic) Hub appears to be intended for a 5-year old or younger Smiley Mad

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Is there a router out there which will run on VDSL like my old Netgear DG834 did on ADSL?

Go to solution

This has been discussed many times on this forum.

The TP-LINK TD-W9980 N600 is the most recommended.

The cheapest vdsl modem/ router is the tp link td- w9970

It depends on how much you want to pay.

cooljay
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Re: Is there a router out there which will run on VDSL like my old Netgear DG834 did on ADSL?

Go to solution

The w9980 needs a firmware flash when using B.T T.v and many are refurbished models with just a 6 months warranty.

A heighbour has one and is pleased for the £55 price.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

@cooljay wrote:

The w9980 needs a firmware flash when using B.T T.v

It did about 2 years ago.

0 Ratings
cooljay
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

A friend who bought his from the high street was on a firmware from 2013!!!

This was about 5 months ago.

Just shows how many are made and when.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

No, it shows how few the high st vendor shifts.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Currys/PC World still have a few 9980s for £49.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

@TimCurtis wrote:

Currys/PC World still have a few 9980s for £49.

Good price, they are discontinued now but Amazon are trying to shift them at £118 which is crazy as the VR600 is now only £75

0 Ratings
Oddius09
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

Just purchased a VR600 @ £75 as an alternative to my HH6, the VR600 is a peach to setup.

Only niggle I have with it at present is though IPV6 compliant, it's not BT's usage of IPV6 compliant yet. I understand from an earlier posting in the forum TP-Link are working on a new firmware for it.

0 Ratings
prinknash
Expert
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

@Oddius09 wrote:

@Just purchased a VR600 @ £75 as an alternative to my HH6, the VR600 is a peach to setup.

Only niggle I have with it at present is though IPV6 compliant, it's not BT's usage of IPV6 compliant yet. I understand from an earlier posting in the forum TP-Link are working on a new firmware for it.

It will work okay, though, with equipment connecting using native IPv6. The router itself doesn't get an IPv6 address because the VR600 doesn't yet support the BT /56 prefix but TP-Link are working on new firmware to fix that. There's also a question mark over whether the router's firewall is operating properly with IPv6 connections, so it's worth ensuring that software firewalls are in place. Again, TP-Link are aware and say they will fix that.

p

0 Ratings