cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JoshThomas
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Is there anyway I can restrict bandwidth on certain devices? Smart Hub 2

I get speeds of around 50-60Mbps, however whenever anybody streams netflix (low settings set in netflix) or watches NOWTV over wireless, it's like ethernet (which I use) get's significantly throttled.  Latency spikes of up to 200.  

I couldn't find any settings in the router such as QoL, is there any other alternative I can use? or do I simply have to cough up money for a new VDSL router?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Is there anyway I can restrict bandwidth on certain devices? Smart Hub 2

There are no setting on any of the home hubs to do that, as they are only very basic ISP supplied routers.

Some alternative routers with those option which may help, provided you know how to set them up correctly, as you need to understand what you are trying to achieve. Also bear in mind that some issues are caused by BTs network congestion, or a high error rate on your connection.

TP-Link AC1200 Wireless Dual Band VDSL/ADSL about £67

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/products/details/cat-15_Archer-VR400.html#specifications

If you only want single band wireless, then this one.

The TP-Link TD-W9970 for about £40 or less.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/products/details/cat-15_TD-W9970.html#specifications

They both work will all BT services, including BT YouView.

Also  the Asus DSL-AC68U https://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/DSLAC68U/

0 Ratings
JoshThomas
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

It's a bit scummy that BT charge on the higher end of the spectrum and provide you with such inadequate hardware, even Vodafone Vodafone!! Provide a decent router with dedicated bandwidth controls, never had to use them as their bandwidth sharing protocols worked flawlessly on their hardware out of the box.
0 Ratings
Reaps
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Hi Josh,

Please be aware - this may not resolve your issue.

I've enabled QoS to restrict all devices in the household to use less than 50% of my throughput and the issue was still apparent.

Using Netflix @ 10Mbps, still caused latency of 200ms every other ping, which made games impossible to play.

Unfortunately, the only way to resolve this completes, option for you is to use another provider who don't priorities YouView traffic above and beyond normal data traffic.

If you were to purchase a router, I would suggest getting one from Amazon, where you can return it within 30 days for a refund, if it doens't resolve your issue.

0 Ratings
JoshThomas
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Thanks Reaps, I assume you're locked into a contract with broadband you cannot use how you want due to ping? Terrible isn't it, I bought a vdsl modem router, enabled QoS and nothing has changed, I found a solution though, leave BT.
0 Ratings
Reaps
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Hi Josh,

I found the same solution.

I've now left BT and I'm now with Zen.

Latency is back to being perfect. Zero increased latency while watching twitch/youtube/netflix too. 🙂

0 Ratings