Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Winstonedd
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Is this a Distribution Point?

Go to solution

Good Afternoon,

i have been told im connected to Distribution Point 164 but that it is not currently active. An engineer installed this a few weeks ago and i was wondering if this was the DP or if the DP is further back and closer to the Exchange? Im an Exchange only line at present but im guesing that may change with FTTP.

Any adice on what people think this is would be greatful 🙂

My apologies for thr image quality - this was the largest it would let me upload 😞

FTTP box.jpg

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Is this a Distribution Point?

Go to solution
It's a Fibre Joint. Legacy FTTP DP's are Green and usually situated at chest height on a Pole.

The new Connectorised Fibre DP's are at the top of Poles though.
0 Ratings
Winstonedd
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

ahh i see. he did fit something black at the top but i just assumed all the magic was this box. this will serve only about 12 properties

This pole is raise off the ground on a bank but if it was not on the bank this would be about chest height.... so do you reckon it coudl still be a DP? He did say it was going to go underground but he would have to close the lane and opted for the pole next to the manhole instead

i will get an image fo the top

cheers

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution
Sounds like it's the new CBT Fibre. That's Connectorised Block Terminal.

It's a new thing Openreach are doing. Problem with Legacy Fibre is the Installation has to be done in two Steps.

Step 1 is where Engineers will pull in tubing to your house from the nearest Fibre DP or Splitter Node. They'll then blow in the Fibre to a CSP, Customer Splice Point on the outside of your house. After that's done and all the stuff behind the scenes is done then a Step 2 Engineer calls to your house, runs a Fibre EZ Bend Cable to where the ONT, Optical Network Termination Box, bit like a modem goes. He then has to Splice the fibres together at the CSP.

Problem with this is it can be very time consuming and the kit the Engineers require is very expensive, a T71 Splicer costs over £2k.

With the new CBT Fibre the Installation can be done in one visit and doesn't require a Splicer.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Winstonedd
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Hi,

managed to bump into an Openreach engineer when i was out on a walk. he has confirmed that it has fiber but also confirmed with the same comment as you in that it;s not a DP.

He did say the DP will be activated soon but ofcourse couldnt say how soon - looking at other peoples forums the average seems to be a few months after.

im hopeful that by Christmas i shoul dbe able to order FTTP 🙂

thanks for your help

0 Ratings