cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
gdburton
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Is this drop cable liable to cause low speed connection problems.

Go to solution

I'm a computer service engineer and was called to a house with low speed connection problems. (sub 2Mbps when 8Mbps is predicted). I have done all the "normal" things like changing the ADSL filters and disconnected all other internal equipment, connected Home Hub to the master socket but no improvement on speed.

I thought this may be a good place to get the advice of some sage BT hands? 🙂

The connection comes about 35m from the telegraph pole, supported along the way by the facia board of the next door house. Where the support cable is attached to the customers house there is a fairly untidy loop of additional cable flapping in the wind.

Also further down the wall before entering the house there is an additional slack loop which looks like someone has yanked on it. But the main reason I was concerned about the drop cable is that it is not twisted pair but "figure of 8" side by side cable, (Like old lighting flex.) In addition it feels quite brittle. So where it is flapping in the wing I suspect that the insulation could have cracked and let moisture in.

Are my concerns justified? Should the customer expect BT to replace the drop cable?

I have some photos that show the state of things.

While there would the BT engineer also replace the old LJU2 master socket with a new NTE5 one and ideally resite it to the room with the Home hub?

Many thanks

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Is this drop cable liable to cause low speed connection problems.

Go to solution
Is there any noise on the phone line ? if not then there would be a charge for moving and reinstalling the master socket

BT is not responsible for the Network that is Openreach

Is the user a BT Broadband user if not then his speed issues are with his ISP not BT

Do they pay there line rental to BT or another provider
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

They would do the things you ask like replace the dropwire and move the socket, but they will charge you as there is no fault.

Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

The type of cable (drop wire) you describe was used all the time in the 60s 70s and 80s and can deliver a BB service successfully providing that there is no corrosion.

Openreach (at the request of the comms provider) would only replace the wiring if it was proven by their engineer that it was faulty.

They would not replace it at the request of the end user because it looks old or may cause a problem. however if you wanted the wire replaced and the main socket re-sited there would be a charge of £130+

If the line is noisy this would affect the BB and would need to be reported as a noisy line to your comms provider, however if the engineer cannot find any noise on the line or has found that the dropwire is damaged in anyway there would once again be a charge.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
gdburton
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks for these replies.

I have not noticed any noise on the phone line, but I will recheck.

They are currently BT Broadband customers. (But if speeds are not improved are liable to soon become Virgin Customers!)

Cheers

0 Ratings