Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
Highlighted
njb_said
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Is this feasible?

Go to solution

Hi, I recently had an idea regarding my home hub and wanted to know if it was possible/feasible.

Basically I want to use the USB port on the home hub 5 as a place to store games, I know it is possible to attach usb drives which is fine. However I wanted to know if its possible to fully use the usb port to play games. Let me give you an example:

My laptop has very little storage and I want to try out a couple of games/programs every now and then, I would like to attach one of my usb sticks to the USB port on my home hub (usb stick would have the steam files for a game) and then I'd like to be able to launch the game from the usb stick, so a NAS that the game files would be on. To reiterate: The game files would be stored on the USB stick, the game would run on my laptop.

My laptop is connected via ethernet and as the ethernet ports on the home hub are gigabit, speed wouldn't be an issue.

Hope this make sense and someone can help me πŸ™‚

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Is this feasible?

Go to solution

If the game was going to run from a USB stick why bother plugging it into your Homehub, just plug it into your laptop directly and see if it will run from there.

0 Ratings
Jonkarra
Expert
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution
I think the drive performance hit for using the game over the network will be too great. Additionally you'd have to install on multiple computers and whilst if you did them all at once it might work repeatedly overwriting the files in question, most games require registry entires etc so cant just be run from the folder.What exactly is the benefit?
0 Ratings
njb_said
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution
(Sorry for the late reply)
What do you mean by this?
Surely if I am using gigabit ethernet there wouldn't be any massive speed bottlenecks.
Isn't this the same principle as installing games on a different drive to your primary (like an ssd or large storage device) but the drive is on the network rather than the computers.

As I said originally, my laptop does not have much disk space (less than 10gb left) so I can't install much onto it, storing the games on a network drive could potentially solve this.

Thanks
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

The speed issue will be the USB stick. It is not directly attached to the network and will only work at USB speeds.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

The throughput on the home hub USB port is not very good as its not a true network port, that is the limiting factor.

Far better to plug in an external hard disk drive into your USB port. Many programs require that any external device appears as a non-removable drive, so they may not work.

You could upgrade the internal drive in your laptop with the help of an external USB caddy to clone the existing drive.

If you are using Windows, then you can normally do that without it asking for a new activation code.

0 Ratings
njb_said
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution
Ok, thanks anyway.
I think I have a solution anyway.
0 Ratings