Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
badmonk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Is wireless capped @ 50mb?

hey guys! 

just got BT Infinity and its been awesome so far, but as i got the 76mb package i was told by a BT support assistant this speed could only be reached by using a wired connection. Is this true does anyone know please?

i am sure i have got faster speeds via wireless in hotels etc so does this mean 50mb is the fastest i can get @ home via BT infinity without using ethernet?

If so, kinda defeats the object of having wireless........

thanks for any answers 🙂

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: Is wireless capped @ 50mb?

Wired connections will always give the fastest speed. Wireless is subject to so many variables including where the router is located, what lies between the router and the device being used etc.. and how far away from the router you are and how good the wireless is on the router in the first place.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 3 of 12

The HH5 is capable of 1300Mbps over wireless-AC.
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
badmonk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

thanks for the reply. The BT assistant told me 50Mbps was the fastest i could get over wireless, so this isnt true correct?

i have HH5 so if i can get 76mb through infinity then it will def support this over wireless?

so the BT assistant was talking out of her bum 🙂

0 Ratings
badmonk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

now this other assistant i am talking to says the max for HH5 over wireless is 80mb lol

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

He will be telling you that because as far as he is concerned if you are on Infinty 2 that will be the maximum speed you can get.

Why are you phoning them to ask, do you have a problem or are you just running a test for BT customer service operators.

0 Ratings
badmonk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

i am talking via chat on the net, also because the engineer said i could get 76mb and the BT assistant told me HH5 cannot go faster than 50mb wirelessly which i am sure is BS

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

You still haven't said why you are asking them other than because an engiineer said you would get 76Mbps. Were you asking them just to confirm this or do you have a problem.

0 Ratings
badmonk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

well because i am paying for the 76mb package and getting 45-50mb which is great but its not 76mb 🙂

also because the BT employee told me the wrong info saying the HH5 could only reach 50mb max via wireless

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

The speed that ISP will work on are the ones you can get on a wired connection. No ISP will give any guarantee for speeds on a wireless connection because of the variable that Conrad has explained.

You could download a Wifi Analyser app for you smartphone if you have one or use the free version of inSSider from forum member Keith Beddoe's website here

http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/software/insidder.zip

It will show you the wireless channels and which one your Homehub is on. You want to find the channel with the least congestion, ie. least number of users. Once you have that you need to change your homehub onto that channel. It might help your wireless speed.

You should also make sure that the wireless network card drivers are up to date on your PC/Laptop. Use the card's website rather than Windows which can be out of date.

See link how to change channel on homehub

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14094