cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bc1973
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Isolated network

Hi all. We’re about to get exchange students in and i’d Like to get an isolated network setup for them. It’s something we’ll be doing on and off for a while so it seems like a worthwhile exercise. I’m wondering how I go about this. My tech-level is low (talk of ADSL and pairing makes my head itch) so i’d Like to know if there is a simple, idiot proof method. I have a Home Hub 5 & Whole Home system.
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Isolated network

You cannot have a totally isolated system using any of the BT Home hubs. You can add an additional wireless access point which has separate login details, but this will not be fully isolated from your home network.

I use one of the routers on this page.

Cheap reliable replacement for home hub.

It gives a totally isolated guest network with access and bandwidth controls, so they cannot use all of your upload or download speed. It also allows the guest network to be assigned a low priority.

I find it works very well, and seems very stable.

It also allows the use of OpenDNS, which can be set to block access to unsuitable web domains. That will give you a degree of protection against illicit usage.

Wireless coverage is also very good with these devices, as they have external aerials.

If you need any assistance, then please ask.

0 Ratings
Bc1973
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

That looks good. Thanks. Will they work with the Whole Home setup and are they easy to get up and running? Like I say, i’m Not that tech savvy so, if i’m replacing the Home Hub I need it to be a pain-free process.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

There is not reason why they should not work with the Whole Home setup, you might find that the router itself gives better coverage to start with.

Its very easy to setup as it has a setup wizard. Look at the emulator page.

Are you on normal broadband or BT Infinity?

Do you have BT Youview with the extra channels?

I can provide full guidance, if needed, via some additional web pages on my webserver.

There are two TP-Link devices described, the Archer VR400 being the more expensive.

The TD-W9970 N300 is cheaper, and is the one I have. For £29.99 its a bargain.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

I have added a quick page showing the guest network settings I use on ADSL.

Creating a Guest Network

See the options regarding access to your local network, its disabled by default.

Priority is set at 5 by default. The range is 1-8, priority 1 being the highest.

I belive the same settings are available on the Archer VR400.

0 Ratings
Bc1973
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Thanks a lot. I’ll look in to getting this set up for when we start. Again, thanks.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

@Bc1973 wrote:
Thanks a lot. I’ll look in to getting this set up for when we start. Again, thanks.

If you need more help, please ask.

I have had confirmation that it does work with BT YouView, so I will add that info to my website.

0 Ratings
leightonr
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Hi Keith,

the link to your page is failing for me with "dyndns.info took too long to respond".

I am also struggling with creating a completely isolated network as we plan to do some Airbnb.  I am novice/intermediate network savvy and in trying to solve a problem with a YouView box streaming BT Sport flooding Sky Q boxes, I have ended up buying some expensive kit (Cisco SG220 switch).  I am also having some more cable installed so I can route to any of the 4 ports on my BT Home Hub 6.  I actually like the 220 and I can configure VLANs on the switch and I can lock all the physical ports in the house.  But I am still not sure whether the networks effectively bridge back together at the BT Home Hub 6 ?? I will be able to test that once the wires are installed but some pre-knowledge would help.  So everything in the house goes to the Cisco Switch.  I am happy setting up a dedicated WLAN router for the guests and I can create a separate VLAN at the Cisco for that to give them access to the internet.  The Cisco of course connects to the BT Home Hub 6 but then another of the ports on the home Hub goes back up to my home VLAN at the Cisco.  Will this work or do I need to get an ADSL router that also supports VLAN.  does that make sense ?  Thanks 

0 Ratings