cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 17

Re: Issue obtaining a Wan IP address to 3rd party router when using a modem in bridge mode

No, a factory reset will restore the modem to the correct settings for vdsl operation and will require no changes to be made subsequently. You have to remember these modems are normally locked so no settings can be changed.

Message 12 of 17

Re: Issue obtaining a Wan IP address to 3rd party router when using a modem in bridge mode

@mach1ne  A word of caution. It should be perfectly possible to factory reset the HG612, but I have just tried on mine and appear to have bricked it. I'm sure I have reset it successfully in the past.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 17

Well I reset the HG612 back to factory default and I get the same result, it connects but I only get a private ipv4 address and not the public one from the ISP...tried setting up a windows internet connection using the ppoe broadband username and password and still no joy...I'm stumped!

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 17

I'm afraid I'm stumped too.

PS My 'bricked' HG612 burst into life this morning after being de-powered overnight! 🤔

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 17

Glad it's working for you again...thanks for all your help

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 17

Sorry I couldn't find a solution.

As an experiment, could you try entering incorrect PPPoE login details on the pfsense. If you get exactly the same result it would indicate that somehow the PPPoE session isn't being initialised. If you get a different result, e.g no gateway address, it would indicate that perhaps the problem lies elsewhere.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 17

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again! 

I can't believe it after trying again from scratch today I got it working 👏 I got the HG612 configured in bridge mode and I used PPOE_Bridged and set the 802.1p to use vlan 2 ( used 0 and 1 before), I then connected my tp-link v900 and configured it with my ppoe settings and bobs your uncle! 

As a test I put all the details into pfsense and at first it did not work...I fiddled with the wan interface assignments and this too started working...talk about over the moon!  I've been messing about with this for 3 weeks.

My final hurdle was to test if i could use the BT Smart Hub and 2 black Wifi discs as my wireless AP (I've read that only the white ones can be used with 3rd party routers)...Unfortunately I could not change the Lan IP to the 10.x.x.x range i was planning on using for my network and there was no option to set a gateway address, so i put my tp-link v900 on the same network as the BT router and connected them together via a switch along with the bt discs.  Using an imac as a test i connected to the BT Smarthub wireless AP and put in a manual IP and pointed it to the tp-link as the gateway and to my amasement it worked, I could access the internet.

I need to do a little more testing as DHCP allocation via the BT Smarthub AP was issuing a gateway address of 192.168.1.254 and not 192.168.1.1 I want to get this working as I don't want to have to manually set all my wireless devices to use manual IP's so i can access the gateway.

0 Ratings