Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
NigelCollins
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 27

Issue with a wifi alarm module disconnecting from BT Home Hub 5

Go to solution

I wonder if anyone can help.  I have installed a Texecom wireless alarm system and as part of that system have added a 'ComWifi' module which allows me to remotely interrogate, via wifi, the alarm system and use an App to tell me if my alarm triggers.

I have got the system working and the ComWifi unit working with my BT Home Hub 5.  I have set a static address within the DHCP range for the Comwifi unit and have set up port forwarding so that I can access over 3G.  All of this is working BUT....

Every day or so I lose connection from the HomeHub to the ComWifi unit - if I look at the connected devices - its no longer shown.  The only way I can get the HomeHub to see the ComWifi unit is by resettiing the ComWifi.

I have asked this question of Texecom who point to a router issue and have also asked the question on an alarm forum.  A network expert on the forum posted the following reply:

'Your comWIFI module is a pretty dumb piece of kit, and for some pretty complex reasons to do with something called ARP, doesn't keep reminding your HomeHub that it's still connected.

To sum up my understanding:-
You've just installed the comWIFI module
Everything works when powered up /rebooted
Some random time later (few hours - few days) comWIFI drops off the network
The same thing happens inside your house as outside using 3G
You have no other oldish ip connected devices in your house like an old cheap ip webcam

Plusnet routers had the same problem a year ago, which required a firmware update to resolve. You can't directly fix this. This is now officially a networking issue connected to your HomeHub.' 

I would be grateful if anyone has experienced similar problems and found a solution......

0 Ratings
26 REPLIES 26
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 27

Re: Issue with a wifi alarm module disconnecting from BT Home Hub 5

Go to solution

Set the static address on the unit itself outside of the DHCP range of the hub.

0 Ratings
NigelCollins
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 27

Go to solution

Hi - thanks for quick response - I thought it didnt matter if you set it inside or outside of DHCP range as long as you set the address as static?  Happy to try it

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 27

Go to solution
turn off smart wireless?
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 27

Go to solution

And disable Smart Setup.

0 Ratings
NigelCollins
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 27

Go to solution

OK - so I have disabled Smart setup, already had disabled smart channel selection and have now changed the DHCP range so that my Com-Wifi unit is outside of DHCP.  I will wait and see if I still get any failures.......   

Thanks for your suggestions

0 Ratings
NigelCollins
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 27

Go to solution
So I have:
1. Disabled Smart Setup - I don't know what this does?
2. Choose to use an IP address outside of DHCP.  I tackled this slightly differently by changing the range of DHCP so that the IP address (192.168.1.99) was now outside of the DHCP.   I waited until the lease renewed and then tried the app - nothing.
I logged onto the Com-Wifi module and reset the IP address, Subnet Mask Gateway & DNS and restarted the unit.  BTHomehub 5 now does NOT see the Com Wifi unit.   I can still log onto it from my PC, I can ping it but cant get the hub to list it as a device.

I then changed the DHCP range to include the ComWifi and it sees it again and the app works.  Very confusing..    I am now wondering if I loose connection when the lease runs out - currently set to 24 hours.

Would welcome any thoughts.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 27

Go to solution

As far as I'm aware, the hub will only list DHCP allocated devices its just a graphical representation of the DHCP table. The confusing thing is why the app needs to see the device listed at all. You have also confused me by talking about when the lease runs out. If you have set the IP address directly on the module, there is no lease involved, the whole point of a static address.

0 Ratings
NigelCollins
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 27

Go to solution

Hi - the only reason I mentioned the lease running out is that as i didnt reset the ComWifi unit after taking the IP address out of DHCP it stayed on the graphical picture until the lease expired.  There are two representations of what's connected:  The DHCP table (where I wouldnt expect to see the ComWifi once removed from DHCP) and the Home Network Devices "The diagram below shows all the devices that are connected to your BT Home Hub. Click on the device name to view and edit its settings or to remove it from the network." where I assume any connected units should be shown regardless of whether they are within DHCP range or not.

So still at a loss as to what the problem is.  As the lease is set to 1 day - I will see if the app stops working when lease expires - a bit of a longshot I know.......

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 27

Go to solution

@NigelCollins wrote:

Hi - the only reason I mentioned the lease running out is that as i didnt reset the ComWifi unit after taking the IP address out of DHCP it stayed on the graphical picture until the lease expired.

Ah, ok.

There are two representations of what's connected:  The DHCP table (where I wouldnt expect to see the ComWifi once removed from DHCP) and the Home Network Devices "The diagram below shows all the devices that are connected to your BT Home Hub. Click on the device name to view and edit its settings or to remove it from the network." where I assume any connected units should be shown regardless of whether they are within DHCP range or not.

You would expect that to be the case but I'm not convinced it is, I think the diagram is just a graphical view of the DHCP table. I don't use a HH so can't confirm, but I'm pretty sure that's the case from reading other posts.

So still at a loss as to what the problem is.  As the lease is set to 1 day - I will see if the app stops working when lease expires - a bit of a longshot I know.......

I rather suspect it will still work when the lease time expires and that the ability to see it on the GUI is a red herring, but please report back after lease expiry time.

0 Ratings