cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mattb3691
Beginner
Message 1 of 17

Issues with New Ultra Fast Fibre Plus and Draytek 2862n

I have a Draytek 2862n at home, we used this prior to moving to Ultra Fast Plus (was previously on BT Super Fast). We have altered this to work with the new connection and it is not working at all. All the settings we are using have been verified as correct. Can anyone advise if the PPP username and password should be bthomehub@btbroadband.com as the username and BT as the password?

Can anyone also advise what the MTU and modulation settings should be?

Thanks!!

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
brookheather
Expert
Message 2 of 17

Re: Issues with New Ultra Fast Fibre Plus and Draytek 2862n

Are you on G.fast or FTTP Ultrafast connection?  Your router isn't compatible with G.fast.

0 Ratings
mattb3691
Beginner
Message 3 of 17

Thanks for this, I'm not sure about the G.Fast or FTTP, how would i find that out?

I had this response to my question from the on line chat:

Matt, below are the generic settings for all the non BT routers, and we would request you to contact the vendor of your router to get these settings configured to the router.
Connection type: PPPoA (PPPoATM) 
VCI = 38, VPI = 0 
Encapsulation: VCMUX 
Modulation: G.DMT 
RFC: 2364 
Network type: WAN (Not LAN) 

MTU: Auto/Normal 1458 – 1500 (Lower numbers can help if data corruption occurs default is 1500) 
QOS: UBR (Unlikely to be CBR/VBR) 

The question i posted was from one of our work IT guys who was trying to set my home router up, so this is all a bit over my head, sorry!!

0 Ratings
brookheather
Expert
Message 4 of 17

How is the router connected to the internet - with a phone cable to the same socket you previously used for Superfast (VDSL) or to a newly installed fibre optic cable with ONT (FTTP modem) on the wall?

You can also enter your phone number here and it should show G.fast or WBC FTTP availability:

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

0 Ratings
mattb3691
Beginner
Message 5 of 17

It's with a phone cable to the socket it was connected to before (the engineer just put a new socket face on it when they came to set it up).

Thanks

0 Ratings
brookheather
Expert
Message 6 of 17

So you have G.fast and will need to use a compatible G.fast modem or router if you don't want to use the supplied Home Hub.  There are only a few models on the market - ideally you would have asked the installer if they had a spare Huawei MT992 G.fast modem if you wanted to use your own router.  If you want a combined G.fast modem/router then the Asus DSL-AC88U is one possibility.

0 Ratings
mattb3691
Beginner
Message 7 of 17

That's great, thank you!!!  Looks like I'm in the market for a new router.....!!!

0 Ratings
dbrose
Beginner
Message 8 of 17

Hi there

I am thinking of purchasing a Draytek 2862 Router.

I am on BT G.Fast with an Huawei MT992 G.fast modem, i requested this as I currently use a Netgear R7000 with DDWRT.  I am having issues with DDWRT with multicast and have a complicated set up which I believe the Vigor will sort.

My question is will the Vigor perform the PPPoE dial up via the G.Fast modem and not try and be a modem itself?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 17

Yes, if you connect the Huawei to the Vigor WAN port. The modem functionality of the Vigor will only be via the DSL port.

0 Ratings
dbrose
Beginner
Message 10 of 17

So that would be the WAN2 Ethernet port reading the guide?

0 Ratings