cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Disillusione
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 100

It's Official BT HomeHub 3 is not fit for purpose!

Go to solution

Having struggled with BT HomeHub 3 both Series A and B since April and May it is now official.  BT have completley resigned their responsablityies and promises of supplying the latest technology and lightening speeds if you use their HomeHub 3.  They will still stand by their contractual obligations over speeds but fall back on the old chesnut that speeds are dependent on other factors but only if you are using a network cable to your hub.....

Technical Support told me in July that I would be better off getting my own hub at a cost to myself as they couldn't help me.  Recently I tried the BT hub again and speeds vary vastly from WiFi and Cable:

Wifi:-

Cable:-

I contacted Technical support and they confirm that they know of the issue, but haven't told customers, but they have referred the matter to Open Reach as they are their hardware supliers.

They knew of the issues from May 2012 so why is it now October and the issue has not been fixed.  They still advise that because of their failure I should go and buy £140 worth of my own kit to replace their sub-standard kit.

I wonder if Trading Standards have heard of the issue and the Advertising Standards Agency have seen their 'Big Boy' Adverts?

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
99 REPLIES 99
Message 2 of 100

Re: It's Official BT HomeHub 3 is not fit for purpose!

Go to solution
Hi Disillusione,

Thanks for posting. If you’re having speed issues I can look into it for you. Drop me an email with the details. You’ll find the “contact us” form in the about me section of my profile.

Cheers

David
Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Disillusione
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 100

Go to solution

DavidM,

Thanks for the offer but I have spent over 10 hours on the phone about these issues since April and have it been confirmed by second line support in India that the hubs are not fit for purpose.  I am an IT Professional myself and am probably a pain in the side for your first line as they are only script readers not IT people.  Once I had run my own tests on the hub, Db, Frequency hopping etc... I knew it was the hub and not the setup.  One of BT Support's problems is they don't support Linux.... only Windoze and Mac...  Strange as the hubs and all your routers, servers etc. use Linux but they obviously don't understand that serious computer people, generally, only use Windose to fix client's front end issues or if a client insists on it.  Anyway, second line support did understand and the issue is confirmed officially as of yesterday.  

"Buy your own hub as ours don't work as advertised"

There is little point in contacting you to go round the roundabout a few more times it is just that many of your customers have these issues and they are banging their heads in frustration as not all appear to suffer the issues.  OpenReach are no doubt dragging their feet on the issue as it is a very expensive mistake unless a firmware update can fix it.

0 Ratings
v8growl
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 100

Go to solution

Have you tried inSSIDer? Can you run that app and scan for the 2.4GHz & 5GHz channels, can you post screenshots so we can see what's going on in your area?

I'm thinking that there could be several wireless boxes on the same channels - rather like this one!

Is it any surprise that my 2.4GHz wireless is incredibly slow? the only way I improved my connection was to put in a 5GHz wireless router - the BT supplied Hub is just like any.  I would put money on the problem being that the spectrum for the wireless channel you're using is full.

Capture.PNG

0 Ratings
XOR37H
Contributor
Message 5 of 100

Go to solution

It's interseting that some usres get on just fine with the HomeHub3 yet other users report problems, we have been lucky with our install and seem to get a good constant speed exactly as promised. The HomeHub3 has worked fine since its been installed, no real problems so to speak of.

I've made up CAT5E cables and routed them to my main computers, and run my laptop via the HomeHub3 wifi which works without problems. In my case the laptop uses an Intel ProWireless 802.11g card so its obviosly slower than ethernet but that is to be expected. I've not been able to test 802.11n as my card dosn't support it 😞

There are many things that can effect your wifi signal, the structure of your house, radio interference, drivers, and how sensitive your Wifi card is. Just as an example I have two laptops One has a Dell wireless network card and runs Win7 ultimate, the other has an Intel ProWireless card and runs Centos enterprise linux. If i run the two side by side I always get a better signal via my Linux based laptop, it could be a better wireless card it maybe better drivers but there is a large difference between the two devices.

0 Ratings
TheReverend
Contributor
Message 6 of 100

Go to solution

Is your computers or the hubs wifi next to a radiator? Those are very good at soaking up any signal nearby

0 Ratings
anthonyUK
Expert
Message 7 of 100

Go to solution

Official Smiley LOL

How many people must be using a HH3 without issue and because you can't get it to work it is officially not fit for purpose?

Did you try any of the suggestions given to you in your original thread?

Regarding Linux - I am a big fan but wifi has always been a bit flaky. Are the drivers for your device supported by the wifi manufacturer or open source?

You could try to see if it works OK with a windows device.

0 Ratings
MeanMint
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 100

Go to solution

I find it hard to understand an IT Professional would rely on WiFi.

In my case the reason the HUB's Wifi is so bad is that everyone and his cat in our street now has BT as their internet provider, trying to find a free channel over wifi is a nightmare.

The majority of my kit is hardwired apart from our iPad and iTouch. The wifi is always up and down like a ..... you know what.

http://meanmint.spaces.live.com/
0 Ratings
v8growl
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 100

Go to solution

MeanMint, this is the exact reason I was asking to an inSSIDer screen-shot.

The only way you will really guarantee wireless functionality is to use the 5GHz range - a range that there are very few people using!

In my area, there are >20 2.4GHz network, and only 1 5GHz network - this is mine!

I suspect that the OP has congestion on the WiFi signal.

It would also be interesting to see what speed the WiFi card is connecting to the router.

As an IT engineer, this is common information to analyse before dissing any equipment, so I would have hoped that the OP has done all the above.

0 Ratings
MeanMint
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 100

Go to solution

....and when the 5GHz network gets full what then.

Wired is the future I tell yah.Smiley Wink

http://meanmint.spaces.live.com/
0 Ratings