cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
biffo1963
Aspiring Expert
Message 61 of 100

Re: It's Official BT HomeHub 3 is not fit for purpose!

Go to solution

@hippey wrote:

Although I technically can't discuss it, I wanted to prove that the HH3 is more than able to handle high speeds.

This is a public forum ( anyone can read the posts without logging in ) and you've published your speedtest result for all to see. Not exactly confidential any more, lol  Smiley Surprised

0 Ratings
hippey
Expert
Message 62 of 100

Go to solution

The stats speak for themselves and as a demo of how the HH3 is fit for it's use and yes I'm on a FTTP connection and I'm not revealling the super secrets by that demo as much of the info is in the public domain already - in fact it's great advertising for BT! I just don't discuss my set up.

And this is not a London test, suprisingly it's Milton Keynes.

0 Ratings
biffo1963
Aspiring Expert
Message 63 of 100

Go to solution

I'm in Milton Keynes too so it's absolutely no surprise to me.  Sadly I'm not on the Bradwell Abbey exchange so I can't get FTTP. An ex-colleague is though, and he got on the 100Mb service when it was first brought in as a trial.  If things have advanced since then, well that's progress !

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Bigkevsta
Beginner
Message 64 of 100

Go to solution
I have to agree. The homehub isn't fit for purpose. I had a v2 for my initial infinity install which was mediocre at best, but suffered with dhcp exhaustion as it wouldn't release addresses back into the pool once they were no longer in use. The only way to resolve this was to perform a factory reset losing the rest of my config (lots of port forwarding etc etc.) .I. called the helpdesk and they eventually they agreed to upgrade me to a HH3. Not really worthwhile for me as my switch is restricted to 10/100 and only our phones have wireless N.
When the HH3 arrived, 1the wireless was so poor I couldn't get a signal outside the room the HH3 was in. This wasn't too much of an issue with the HH2 - the range wasn't great on a HH2 but it was better than the HH3. I used inSSIDer and checked I was in a clean spectrum and I was. (Largely surrounded by older folk with no internet). In the end I dug out an 8 year old linksys WAP and hardwired that in to the HH3 and used that for wifi. Just when I thought I was getting it sorted, I proceeded to setup my port forwarding which failed miserably. I was unable to configure multiple rules against the same machine as it said the rule already existed. These were the exact same rules that I had set up and worked fine on the HH2.
After over 15 hours on the phone with their 'tier 2' support and several supposed technical managers, I was called a liar, told I was using my residential line for business use as advised that if the HH3 showed a blue 'b' indicating it had a broadband connection, then they were not required to assist me further.
I spoke to UK customer services who gave me £100 as a gesture of goodwill. I have since replaced my HH3 with a linksys ea4500 which works like a dream, great wireless range, faster transfer rates, more customisable, and all portforwarding works fine!
I'm an IT professional and have spent many years working through t1, t2, and t3 roles in platform and networking support, covering business and home users. I am most shocked by BTs claims that the HH3 is the best WiFi router in its class -it must be a very small class.
I do however rate the infinity connection - it's stable and quick.
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 65 of 100

Go to solution

BTs claims that the HH3 is the best WiFi router in its class

I think they only say it's their (BT's) fastest ever router.

Though I agree, they certainly imply it's much better than it is.

0 Ratings
Message 66 of 100

Go to solution
I have been given the same runaround as you, in fact, the Newcastle team have even sent me a letter saying they legal stance as been delivered to the property, no more they can do this as been going on since mid 2012.

I'm not able to do all the technical stuff being said on here, plus having a cable on the floor for me is dangerous too, as I'm disable, I'm either on a pair of sticks or in my wheelchair, just ridiculous situation this has become.
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Oranj
Beginner
Message 67 of 100

Go to solution

Funny thread. Not many realise there are two versions of the HH3, A and B, and the B uses the broadcom BCM6361. They are *totally* different routers. Different PCB. They just look the same on the outside. I think the A version had "issues" whereas the B is better. My B is solid, I get 76mbit over wifi, on 20mhz.

0 Ratings
wffolkes
Message 68 of 100

Go to solution

I almost give up with BT and the current HH im using.

Recently had infinity installed and wired connection is quick 30mb/s + howeve the wifi connection is less than 1mb/s all over the house.

I have triend everything to resolve the issue but the wifi speed is just random, some days is 15mb/s which is great other times I struggle to open google.

Any ideas or tips?

0 Ratings
dgilbert2
Expert
Message 69 of 100

Go to solution

Just for the record the result below is from my HH3B. Its located upstairs and laptop from this result downstairs. I'm quite happy with it altough my old Netgear WNDR3400 has marginally better range.

0 Ratings
Message 70 of 100

Go to solution

Hi All,

Why have BT removed the "WPS" facility from their modems?

It certainly make's me think? WPS makes things easier to set up. Is there a security flaw with WPS?

0 Ratings