cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

It's finally going to be here.

As this is most commonally asked here I thought it the right place, move if necessary.

It appears the SM3 with WiFi2 mesh system will be released in July this year.

At launch, the SH3 and CWF2 will be offered as standard on BT’s premium broadband tiers (Full Fibre) for new customers and also upgrades (regrades). Obviously WiFi6 protocol but don't expect much more than 500Mb over WiFi.

Will update as  I know more.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: It's finally going to be here.

Thats really good news, thankd for the update, while the SH2 is good it does need this new update to SH3 to cope with the higher speeds offered by FTTP. Suprised that Wifi 6 is limited to 500mbps when it should be able to get over the 1gbps range, maybe 500 is the stay fast.

Though early info and likely more tech specs will come out later on, like does it support backhaul, Wifi 6 release 2 etc

I'm looking forward to the new kit and hope that I can get it as an exchange for my SH2 (on Halo 3 900)

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

this just expands on @pippincp  post

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2022/01/bt-uk-set-to-launch-smart-hub-3-broadband-router-in-ju...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 7

I’m not sure they quite mean what they say about 500mbps as that would be very poor performance on the WiFi side.
I hit just over 700Mbps on a iPad Pro 2021 version on WiFi 5 at max QAM at times on my main router and around  600 on most of my other WiFi 5 wave 2 routers. On WiFi 6 at 80Mhz at best 856 on some of the WiFi 6 routers I have so I’m wondering if he means wan to lan due to processor and services. You see this a lot where the bottle neck is the cpu handling services. 

Message 5 of 7

Where is it then 😜 desperate to get rid of the now ancient Smarthub 2 any updates anyone,it’s been years!!!.

Cheers.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

It is expected anytime now, but that could easily change again. I suspect it is imminent as Sky "sources" have let slip they have a new WiFi 6 router coming, but not until later this year.

Competitors do like to announce their own good news to try and distract from others, even if it is just a leak. Like all Sky routers, it will be terrible though.

On the Smart Hub 3, there is some debate as to if this will be available via BT at launch, the rumour is it will launch on EE as part of the fanfare of that becoming the new consumer brand.

Like most of the country, there is no Openreach FTTP here and no plan for it this side of 2026, so it's pretty irrelevant for us and I suspect most people lucky enough to have FTTP will have had the good sense to invest in a WiFi 6 Mesh already. 

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

There is more chat about potential new routers on ISPreview today.

Latest expectation is for the Smart Hub 3 to launch for consumers in July with an aspiration to launch a WiFi 7 Hub 4 to follow next year.

Several credible sources have informed ISPreview that BT, most likely via EE – their soon-to-be “flagship brand for consumers“, have set themselves a target of being the first UK broadband ISP to market with a WiFi 7 (802.11be) capable router (SmartHub 4). The hope is to be ready by early 2024, but June 2024 is also mentioned

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
0 Ratings