Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dfenceman
Expert
Message 1 of 10

It would appear as though www.speedtester.bt.com has been withdrawn/closed down

Good morning Guys,

It would seem as though www.speedtester.bt.com is no more.  When I tried to run it a few minutes ago I got this message :-

FAQ

Blank Image not loaded

Thanks for accessing the BT Wholesale Performance Tester. Please note we have now launched a new site which is available at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com, so please update your bookmarks. You will be redirected to the new page in 10 seconds. If you are not re-directed automatically please click the link above.

Best regards,
dfenceman
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: It would appear as though www.speedtester.bt.com has been withdrawn/closed down

Yes, it would appear so. I will have to update some of my website links and instructions once I take a closer look.

Thanks

Edit:- links now updated. I have also updated instructions.

Using the BT Speedtester

dfenceman
Expert
Message 3 of 10

Re: It would appear as though www.speedtester.bt.com has been withdrawn/closed down

Hi Keith,

Well done for updating so quickly.

Puzzling that it also shows your upload speed as being higher than your Upstream IP Profile, like it does for my downstream, see :- http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/Am-I-on-ADSL-Max-or-ADSL2/m-p/744336#M166582

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

@dfenceman wrote:

Puzzling that it also shows your upload speed as being higher than your Upstream IP Profile, like it does for my downstream, see :- http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/Am-I-on-ADSL-Max-or-ADSL2/m-p/744336#M166582

I don`t know why that is, but I am not concerned.

I have in the past got higher download speeds, but I prefer thing as they are, as I get a good upload speed (important for my webserver), and a reliable download speed without any disconnections.

My ADSL stats are these at the moment. Only 10 days because there was an exchange common fault which caused loss of synch for about 45 minutes.

Link Information

Uptime: 10 days, 15:43:55
Modulation: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,147 / 8,071
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/GB]: 1.40 / 7.20
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 18.0 / 33.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.0 / 14.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 1,420 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 8,936
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 5,188
0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 5 of 10

Hi Keith,

I have a villager that is having speed problems and I sent her a link to your instructions for running the new speed test.

She has tried running it but says she is getting a message that the speed test is only for BT customers.

This seems strange as my neighbour is also with Talk Talk (well AOL) and he had no problems.

Any ideas please ?

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

She can use the BT speedtester page directlly, as that is hosted by BT at

BT Wholesale Speedtester

My own guidance page, is hosted on my private webserver which is in a closed user group for BT Broadband users, and is intended to assist with BT Broadband speed questions.

0 Ratings
ChefHilary
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 10

Same thing happened to me for many years when I was with AOL and BT refused to let me have the speedtest utility on my line

I could never therefore substantiate my problems and was in a catch 22 position.  AOL tried for years to get it working again after 2007 to no avail.

It was only when I went back to BT and made the speedtester part of my contract with them that I got it back.

Shame on BT yet again - this is typical of the throughput I used to receive (I have literally hundreds of these since 2007) along with time and date stamped "unable to use the sppedtester site" messages, some saying it's busy, some saying I can't use it on my connection/number (more recent ones) and some with more bizarre messages such as the site isn't available.  

The speedtester would have been the only way I could substantiate my (our Pembroke Dock users too) lack of performance and throughput.

It leaves me in incredulous wonder and awe at the reasons for these sorts of things and the effort which must be being put in to keep it up - lol.

That's why I posted about my lack of the speedtester tool earlier

0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 8 of 10

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

She can use the BT speedtester page directlly, as that is hosted by BT at

BT Wholesale Speedtester

My own guidance page, is hosted on my private webserver which is in a closed user group for BT Broadband users, and is intended to assist with BT Broadband speed questions.

Hi Keith,

The lady in question is even less au fait with computers than I am so I thought giving her the link to your instructions was the easy way out.
I have since had another lady (is a BT customer this time) say she has run the speed test but it won't let her run the Further Diagnostics.  Are there reasons why this might be please ?

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

@dfenceman wrote:

Hi Keith,

I have since had another lady (is a BT customer this time) say she has run the speed test but it won't let her run the Further Diagnostics.  Are there reasons why this might be please ?

No idea, perhaps there is an issue with the way her line is configured?

0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 10 of 10

Hi Keith,

Thanks for replying  I was just wondering if there were known obvious reasons for the failure.

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings