cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarkV
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 5

Jumping ship is not easy!

I've been getting increasingly fed up with the un-acknowledged bug where your POP3 email login gets rejected for no reason.

I'm also very concerned about the bonfire of privacy, as I see it, of the T&C's for the new email that is being forced on customers. Seems like 4th Feb and we will be forced to take the new account.

So I decided to move my email away from @btinternet.

I registered a domain name and set up an account with a third party email provider. Easy!

Next came the hard part; tracking down every friend, family, web-site, e-commerce that know me by my @btinternet address. More than I can count.

Very often you have to change your email address whilst the old one is still active as they send a confirmation to the old address.

It's taken literally days and days. But I'm now pretty much done. Just makes you/me/one realise how deeply tied in you are to your email address.

On the bright side, I will leave behind a lot of spam and junk 🙂

I am now able to abandon and ignore my BT/Yahoo email account after using it as my lifeline for 5+ years.

This has been painful, but I'm happy I did it. A great clean-up exercise and I am now very free to consider commercial alternatives without a ball and chain, should I wish to (I am actually very happy with BT's phone and internet provision; incredibly stable and reliable for me).

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: Jumping ship is not easy!

@MarkV wrote:

I'm also very concerned about the bonfire of privacy, as I see it, of the T&C's for the new email that is being forced on customers. Seems like 4th Feb and we will be forced to take the new account.

@So I decided to move my email away from @btinternet.

If the only reason you ditched your btinternet emails was that you were being denied the option to stay with BT Yahoo! Classic mail from 4 Feb, you may have been too hasty.

[I posted some information here but then decided it was significant enough for a separate thread. See here: http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/Keeping-BT-Yahoo-Classic-Mail-from-4-February/td-p/39678....]

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 5

One little thing to watch out for - BT tend to send important service announcements to your BT email address. Sometimes they even do this if you have supplied an alternative mail address.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 5

Correct, so the OP should set up a forward from the BT email account, or collect via pop.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
MarkV
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 5

I'm planning to occasionally POP it. I have reluctantly switched off spam filtering to avoid losing mails to the occasional false positive.

0 Ratings