cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
the2ems
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Keep losing connection to printer

About a year and a half ago, I treated myself to a new HP wireless air printer. I had no problems printing from my iPad, iPhone, or computer. Then I changed broadband provider from Virgin to BT. Now it seems that every time I want to print from my iPad, I firstly have to go and restart the router. Grr

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Keep losing connection to printer

If you have the hh6 have you turned off smart setup?  Have you split the networks as many devices do not like them combined

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Paul_31
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 9

You're not alone... I have an HP Envy 4500 series Airprint printer and it too falls off the network. I've tried all kinds of things to resolve it and the method I've settled on is to let the HP power itself off when not being used (I don't have a continuous need to print things). Now I know that if I do want to print or scan something I have to switch the printer on first, rather than send something to print. find it doesn't print and then have to switch the printer off and then on again .

I know it's not a 'real' solution, but it works for me.

The other more techinical 'fix' that also works (for me at least) is to add and use a new printer using the I.P. protocol. I find this way the printer stays on the network and can print 'on demand'. The only problem with this method is that the scanning option doesn't seem to be available. But for printing only it's fine.

(I only have Macs and other Apple devices connected).

0 Ratings
the2ems
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

0 Ratings
the2ems
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

@imjollywrote:

If you have the hh6 have you turned off smart setup?  Have you split the networks as many devices do not like them combined

I have no idea what you are talking about.

0 Ratings
Paul_31
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 9

@the2ems Are you talking to me? I was trying to help. What part don't you understand - 'switching the printer on', or the I.P. printing bit.

I thought you came here looking for help/suggestions? If you need any clarification on what I posted feel free to ask.

Edit: I can now see that you weren't replying to me, but to do what imjolly suggested log into your router using a web browser. If it is a SmartHub 6 type: 192.168.1.254 into a web address field and it should become clear.

2nd edit: note I've changed the 192.xxx number as I made a typo - it is now correct.

0 Ratings
the2ems
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

@Paul_31wrote:

@the2ems Are you talking to me? I was trying to help. What part don't you understand - 'switching the printer on', or the I.P. printing bit.

I thought you came here looking for help/suggestions? If you need any clarification on what I posted feel free to ask.

Edit: I can now see that you weren't replying to me, but to do what imjolly suggested log into your router using a web browser. If it is a SmartHub 6 type: 192.168.1.254 into a web address field and it should become clear.

2nd edit: note I've changed the 192.xxx number as I made a typo - it is now correct.

I’m glad you edited that. Your initial response was quite aggressive.

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 9

Hi @the2ems

I had the same issue with my HP Laser printer. I had split bands on my HH but it made little difference. In the end after talking to HP support, I just wired it into my BT Whole Home.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

@the2ems

which router are you using?  if hh6 then enter hub manager then you can see smart setup and I suggest you turn that off

then go to wireless and move slider to separate networks  if hh6 then tis will change the SSID of 5ghz network by adding a 5  you can now log in to either ot both networks depending on your device  many devices do not like the networks combined

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings