cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bluebell
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Keep the broadband hub plugged in and on all the time?

Go to solution

The subject is my question, do I keep the broadband hub plugged in and turned on all the time... apart of course  when I go on holiday I shall turn if off and unplug it. whilst I am home I am presuming I leave it on all the time??

I have looked for an answer to my problem but couldn't find anything.. maybe its a dumb question... I have never had broad band before, I had a dongle and left it on most of the time.

I have limited data, 10gb per month.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Keep the broadband hub plugged in and on all the time?

Go to solution

the recommendation is to leave hub on 24/7 for best results

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

It's recommended that you leave it on.

Turning it on and off too often looks like a faulty line so far as the exchange (or cabinet for Infinity) is concerned, and that could drop your broadband speed.  However, just turning it off at night wouldn't be a problem.

If your speed ever drops because of a spate of interference, for instance in a big storm, then it's best to leave it on all the time, including overnight.  That way the exchange sees a nice stable connection for several days, and bumps the speed back up to what it should be.

Turning the Hub off when you go on holiday is fine, unless something (such as BT TV) is going to need it.

Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Frequent restarts of the hub can disrupt line management, though once a day shouldn't be a problem. As imj says though, it's not necessary to switch off daily - in fact mine's been on 365/365 for years other than during power cuts etc. Your data usage won't suffer if nothing's connected and it's not unsafe.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Bluebell
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

I am new to this, I want to thank you for your help. thank you.

0 Ratings