Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IJT65
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

LAN devices resolving wrong IP

Go to solution

I use a no-ip dns to connect to my Plex server but even though it is set to my correct public IP (86.164.xxx.41), updates correctly and resolves correctly from devices not on my LAN, all devices on my LAN resolve the no-ip hostname to 81.130.111.239.

This happens regardless of changing the Windows DNS servers from default to Cloudflare or any other public provider. If I use the dynamic DNS setting on the Smart Hub it sets the no-ip IP to 81.130.111.239 also.

81.130.111.239 resolves as a BT address but is unreachable so is of no use.

Does anyone know where 81.130.111.239 is coming from and how to work around it?

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Rob364
Contributor
Message 2 of 16

Re: LAN devices resolving wrong IP

Go to solution

BT will issue dynamic IP addresses to your hub ad it's possible that 81.130.111.239 has recently been issued to your hub.

No-ip just tracks the changes to any Ip address and alters their database so you can access it using your no-ip hostname.

"The No-IP Free Dynamic DNS service takes your dynamic IP address and makes it act as though it is static by pointing a static hostname to it and checking every 5 minutes for changes to your IP address. If your IP address changes, our Dynamic Update Client updates your hostname with the current IP address. This means you can run a server from home and access your computer, or IP camera remotely."

https://www.noip.com/support/knowledgebase/what-does-no-ip-do/

0 Ratings
IJT65
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution

Thanks for the repy but I am well aware of what No-ip does as I am using it and have already stated that it points to my CORRECT public IP address (86.164.xxx.41), which is not 81.130.111.239 as that address is unreachable.

0 Ratings
Rob364
Contributor
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

So if you ping that address from the cmd prompt you get no reply?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

I suspect it is probably your hub getting confused and trying to route your request to a previously remembered public IP address for some reason rather than the private address of the Plex server. Try a factory reset of the hub.

0 Ratings
IJT65
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

Rob364 my services are connectable on 86.164.xxx.41 which is my correct public IP and is what no-ip lists and what every pc outside my lan resolves the no-ip domain to. 81.130.111.239 is unpingable and I am unable to connect to any services on it.

I'll try the reset once I've backed up all my settings and let you know what happens.

0 Ratings
IJT65
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

I've done the reset, no change at all. All 3 PC's on my LAN still resolve the no-ip hostname to 81.130.111.239. PC's outside my LAN resolve it to my correct and working public IP.

Changing the DNS servers used on all 3 local PC's to use Cloudflare, Google and Quad9 instead of the default BT DNS servers still resolve the no-ip hostname to 81.130.111.239.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

To find out if it is something external or internal that is causing the problem, what happens when you disconnect your broadband? Do your PCs still resolve it to the incorrect address or no address.

0 Ratings
IJT65
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

If i disconnect the internet to each individual PC they do not resolve the no-ip hostname.

I just tried another 2 no-ip hostnames and only 1 resolves properly, both are for other IP's than my home connection. The one that resolves incorrectly is in France and also resolves to 81.130.111.239 on all PC's on my LAN and resolve correctly on all other PC's I've had people try on.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

No, I meant disconnect the hub from your line. That will prove if it is the hub that is giving out the wrong IP somehow.

0 Ratings