cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joseph90
Contributor
Message 11 of 27

Re: Lag, lag and more lag

On my dslreport test i get grade A for quality but a grade D for blufferboat. Is that whats causing my lag or is that a normal rating?

0 Ratings
h3x1e
Contributor
Message 12 of 27

It's a possibility, but it'll only happen if you're maxing out your connection.

You can test if it's buffer bloat by doing nothing on your connection, if you still get spikes of 150ms+ it's not buffer bloat. You can fix buffer bloat by setting aside part of your connection usually like 10% of it (through Quality of Service on 3rd party routers) that's dedicated to ping sensitive data.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
CloudGamer
Contributor
Message 13 of 27

@Joseph90 Dslreport website gives great info on what bufferbloat is, what causes it, how to fix it but unfortunately their speed test is not very good at indicating if it your download or upload data/traffic that is being affected by bufferbloat, the meter disappears at end of test and you just see scores Ref: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/17930

Trying using Think Broadbands speed test to better see if your upload bandwidth is affected by bufferbloat.   If it is your upload that is suffering major bufferbloat, it could be caused by issues at your BT cabinet serving your internet connection.   Ref: https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Is-My-BT-Internet-Connection-Suitable-For-Next-...

```if on VDSL2 or G.Fast technology (which uses higher frequencies compared to ASDLx) with more subscribers using this technology on your cabinet  the more susceptible to cross talk interference. Openreach  is combating this using technology like Vectoring. When the upload bandwidth is saturated then you a likely to see a increase in latency - these services are asymmetrical.```

Just like ping, bufferbloat is always there and is a variable depending on many things but load on network is probably biggest factor affecting these variables.

0 Ratings
Joseph90
Contributor
Message 14 of 27

My download speed and upload speed are fine but i do see my download goes really low like 8mbps sometimes and when i reboot my smarthub or even when i run another test straight after its back to normal speed. 

BT have said my connection is fine and the connection to my cabinet is fine. That narrows the problem to either my isp router or a routing problem as when running traceroutes the high pings always start at hop 10 zayo.com. Is that normal? so i can rule out zayo.com as the problem. If so, then i need a better router than the isp default router

0 Ratings
h3x1e
Contributor
Message 15 of 27

hop 10 is outside of BT's network usually.

0 Ratings
Joseph90
Contributor
Message 16 of 27

Anyways ive got my own router coming on monday and if there's no improvement I'll just have to quit online gaming. Sad i know

0 Ratings
h3x1e
Contributor
Message 17 of 27

Well if you're only getting ping issues on hop 10, im guessing it's only one sp[specific game you're getting issues on, i'd contact them about it.

0 Ratings
CloudGamer
Contributor
Message 18 of 27

I honestly believe it just better gaming optimised firmware that is needed for BT hubs, and readdition of WAN port to make it easier for gamers to use third party routers and use third party network monitoring tools like those provided by dslreport and think broadband.    There should also be better trained BT customer care staff who actually know what latency is .

We should not need third party router, ideally.    Not for console gaming.   Cloud gaming , is a different kettle of fish.   Nothing will stress the limits of your internet connection more than using a cloud gaming service for PC gaming.

0 Ratings
h3x1e
Contributor
Message 19 of 27

it's not.

0 Ratings
Joseph90
Contributor
Message 20 of 27

Nah it's not. I don't get lag in just one game, i get lag in every game which means its my internet. Tried contacting playstation support, various game developers etc i provide them with traceroutes etc and they tell me to contact  isp. So, im constantly in between contacting bt and playstation which I don't want to do as im tired of complaining. Its really strange, i have a poor gaming experience wheras friends in same area also with bt or any other isp use openreach have no problems. That's really strange to me

0 Ratings