cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joseph90
Contributor
Message 1 of 27

Lag, lag and more lag

Hi, Im still experiencing lag problems in online games. My connection stats are perfectly fine high speeds with 21ms ping which should be perfect for online gaming. Ive tried everything port forwarding, dmz, firewall off etc yet more frustration. I just want some support with this and would appreciate if someone from BT can assiste with this as ive tried various times to get help through the live chat feature. They keep telling me that my connection is fine and the connection to my exchange is fine. Then why am i having connection issues? The only thing it could be is my smarthub(isp routers are so bad). So ive ordered a third party router hoping this will fix my gaming problems. If not, then my gamble has backfired and I'd  be out pocket then I'd seriously be thinking about switching isp. Also, my traceroutes are fine to the game servers , although the pings go very high when it reaches zayo.com( third party bt use to route traffic to game servers). I don't know if thats a problem in itself. Please somebody help. Im very frustrated!

26 REPLIES 26
h3x1e
Contributor
Message 2 of 27

Re: Lag, lag and more lag

Can you run  ping plotter (it combines ping and traceroute with packet loss) for like 5 mins and post a screenshot.

0 Ratings
CloudGamer
Contributor
Message 3 of 27

Is there an android version of PingPlotter or an equivalent?    My only windows PC is in the Data Centre  and don't have any local windows PC to use Ping Plotter.     I too have had very bad experience with BT support and they refuse to acknowledge I have anything wrong with my service causing ping spikes, packet loss, jitter, buffer bloat all causing dropped frames and stuttering when gaming online using my internet connection provided by BT.

0 Ratings
h3x1e
Contributor
Message 4 of 27

Not that I know of, there's only Windows, MAC and iOS versions of PingPlotter.

0 Ratings
matthewuncle
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 27

Any idea how this can be raised en mass with BT.  Do they actually pay any attention on these forums?  It's quite clear that there is an issue here but a few people on a forum probably aren't going to be enough to make BT take note.  

0 Ratings
h3x1e
Contributor
Message 6 of 27

Na they dont seem to take notice here unless you make it public some how (i got hold of them via twitter) after getting a disgusting email from their "Offline Team" telling me to upgrade my package because Xbox or PS4 games use 15Mbps bandwidth.

0 Ratings
matthewuncle
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 27

Pingplotter 270719.PNGSpeedtest.PNG

This is the last ten minutes with Netflix streaming.  Nothing wrong with bandwidth but ping spikes are crazy

Joseph90
Contributor
Message 8 of 27

They are kinda clueless. I told live support that i was using an ethernet connection and the lady told me that an wifi extender kit and the usual you need faster speeds would fix the issue. They don't seem to release that online gaming uses little bandwidth and them seemingly telling us to upgrade our speeds just to get us to spend more money then we need to

0 Ratings
CloudGamer
Contributor
Message 9 of 27

Netflix have good speed tester as it measures unloaded network and loaded network latencies.     It sort of explains why we see high ping spikes, I.e. there is something wrong with our internet connection.  I only use android devices locally so can't use PingPlotter.   But have found ThinkBroadbands speed test possibly explaining ping spikes caused by bufferbloat on upload .  Screenshot_20190726-142545.pngScreenshot_20190726-142617.pngScreenshot_20190726-142651.png

Screenshot_2019-07-21_14-29-05.png

0 Ratings
L3
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 27

I have PS4 online ethernet connected currently to a hub 5.  What game are u playing I've played blops 4 and daytime it's 30ms in game and if play late night I've seen it over 100ms. 

On hub 5 you can use static or dynamic IP but hub uses the Mac address for dmz.  So either ip will do.

0 Ratings