Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
edot
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Lag spikes/latency issues when someone is streaming

Hey all,

I've already seen that there are plenty of topics about this but I've seen mods offer to give some help so thought I'd make my own thread about it too. As with others, the internet is perfectly fine and stable regardless of what it is being used for and by how many people, until one person begins streaming. This can be youtube or iplayer or netflix or anything, as soon as video streaming begins, my ping goes from a stable 30-40 to randomly jumping up to 130+ for a second or two every 15-20 seconds. The sudden jump in ping causes the game to lag out, and is a real pain in the **bleep** when playing the competitive shooters that I almost exclusively play. I saw this article (https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/08/customers-of-uk-isp-bt-see-multiplayer-lag-spikes-duri...) which states that BT is aware of the problem, but after trawling through the other threads I've found no solutions that seem to have worked. Is this just a case of waiting for BT to fix this?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
hurleh
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Re: Lag spikes/latency issues when someone is streaming

Just have to wait like the rest of us I think mate. 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Hi @edot  welcome to forum and thanks for posting. I've sent you a Private message explaining how you can contact the forum moderation team and we will be happy to see what we can do to help you with your connection. 
Check here: https://community.bt.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

cheers
John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Hi @edot,

Thank you for sending in your details. I'm sorry you've had problems with the latency on your connection. I gave your mobile number a quick call, I'm sorry I didn't get speaking to you today.

I've run a few checks on your line and overall you have a really good connection. You're running at around 79 Mbps and I'm picking up no issues on the network side of things.

In order to her get to the bottom of what is causing the latency spikes, please can you run a couple of ping plotters? I'll need one when no steaming and only 1 device connected and another when a stream is running?

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
edot
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Hi mate,

I'll try and get that done, but to be honest it's pretty much the exact same problem that so many others on here get. It all seems to be due to how BT Internet prioritises streaming and gaming, I've followed the other threads were many, many solutions have been tried but nothing seems to have worked. When someone isn't streaming and I'm not trying to play a game the connection is great; we have 5-7 devices connected and all using the internet and very little slow-down, we can have multiple people streaming and there's no issues with buffering or anything else, the issue only happens when I'm attemping to game and somebody else is streaming. Other than that it's fine.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Hi @edot,

Thank you for replying. 

There are a number of different  reasons why latency can occur on a connection. This can be congestion or interference to name the two most common suspects. If you post back the ping plotters this will help to give me an indication of where the latency is occurring and what can be done if anything to help improve things.

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
niaaaal
Message 7 of 7

Mate I've had the exact same issue and I'm in the same boat as you, I play games competitively and for around 5 months now I've had this problem, it's horrible and I can't cancel because it will cost me over £500  to finish my contract off. I've had an engineer out, along with people over the phone telling me 'oh your speeds are fine' when they forget to realise there's a lot more to connection that internet speeds.

0 Ratings