Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pw888
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Laptop Wireless Connection Issues

Go to solution

I started a subscription to BT Infinity at my new house last month.  I was sent a Home Hub 6 (I think), I set it up and tested both the wireless and ethernet connections with my laptop and it worked fine.  My old home had bog standard broadband and in comparison my new Infinity setup is blisteringly quick.  A couple of days ago my laptop decided it needed to upgrade to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8.  When it rebooted it would not connect properly to my Home Hub wifi (limited connectivity with the yellow warning triangle).  I can connect my laptop fine by ethernet and my phone can connect wirelessly no problem and in fact seems quicker than ever clocking 76 mbps when I last tested the speed.  No matter what I do though, I can't connect my laptop wirelessly.  I've been through all the troubleshooting and diagnostic process for both my laptop and the Home Hub but nothing works.  The Windows connection troubleshooter is saying the connection is broken between my laptop and router but can find no more information or reason why.  All other tests showed no faults.  So I then tried connecting my laptop to other wireless networks and had no problems at all, so came to the conclusion that my laptop or it's wirelss network adapter is not faulty or set up improperly.  I got in touch with BT and the agent I conversed with was adament that my laptop is faulty, despite the fact that it connects to every other wifi I've tried, and "there is nothing wrong with my broadband otherwise my phone would not connect".  I didn't agree but he just fobbed me off and argued with me until I agreed to close the call as we were going round in circles.  I'm now all out of ideas.  If anybody could shed some light on this issue it would be most appreciated.          

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Laptop Wireless Connection Issues

Go to solution

Its more likely a wireless card driver issue if you have just upgraded. Can you see any wireless networks showing on the laptop?

0 Ratings
pw888
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

I thought the same thing at first.  I've checked for an updated driver and Windows says it's up to date and working ok.  I can see all wireless networks in the area and as I say, I can connect to them (if I know the password).  I just can't connect to my own which makes me suspect the hub. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Delete the stored connection for your own wireless network from your laptop. Then rescan for wireless networks and try again.

This page may also be applicable.

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/working-with-windows-8-1s-credential-manager/

0 Ratings
pw888
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

How do I delete stored connections?  There are no SSIDs or wifi networks listed in the credential manager.  In fact there is nothing in here (Windows or web) other than my MSN account.  I've tried clearing all internet history and connecting to the network manually re-entering paswords and this makes no difference. Is it possible to roll back to Windows 8 to see what happens next?  I'm going to look into that next.  It's worth noting also that when I took my laptop to my old home, it remembered the network and connected automatically with no issues (Home Hub 3).  My laptop behaves normally with every other network I've tried other than my own.  I'd like to try to connect another laptop or to connect this laptop to another HH6 but haven't got access to this at the moment. 

0 Ratings
pw888
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

For anybody that's interested I've managed to connect by switching to mode 3 in the hub manager wireless menu.  I'm not sure of the exact science behind it and why it would not work on the default mode 1 but it seems to wokring better than ever now at lightning speed.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution
just your laptop is not able to work with the settings mode 1 provides
0 Ratings
JKM49
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

I had same problem as hw888 with my old Vista laptop when I re-joined BT just over 18 months ago. You said moving to mode 3 solved your problem. Is that same as channel 3? Excuse my ignorance please Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
pw888
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

I don't think so.  I have the channels set to "smart" so the hub decides itself what's the best channel (rightly or wrongly).  There is an option to select a compatabiliy mode 1,2 or 3 near the bottom of the menu.  I'm not sure what it does to the signal exactly but I just saw it in the menu and gave it a try so it was a fluke really.  Mode 1 worked fine when I was running Windows 8. 

0 Ratings