cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
indyjholtzmann
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Laptop and PC won't connect to new TP Link router

Hi everyone, looking for some help after seemingly unable to find it anywhere else.

Yesterday, I bought a TP Link router to replace our BT Smart Hub at home. I plugged it all in and got it going. The first issue arose when I was unable to open up the router configuration on my HP laptop using both Chrome and Edge (via wifi).

Instead, I got it working on my Samsung phone and was able to configure the router with no issues. From here I'd managed to get the router working with our Sky Box, Xbox One, PS4, wireless HP printer, and another Samsung phone.

The router still would not work with my laptop. It'll work when it's plugged in via ethernet but does not like the wi-fi. My desktop PC also will not work with it. They both connect to the router but cannot load any web pages. If I try to load something, it comes up first saying that the site can't be reached before then bringing up the no Internet page despite my laptop saying that it's connected to the router and Internet is available.

I've searched and run a ton of things (ipconfig) through the command prompt and nothing has helped. Computer resets and router resets also have not resolved the issue. I am using the correct ip address.

Does anyone know what I can do? I don't really want to switch back to our BT hub as that is not working as it should.

Thanks
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Laptop and PC won't connect to new TP Link router

Welcome to this user forum.

It would help if you could tell forum members which TP Link VDSL modem/router you are using.

The usual problem is that people forget that the default gateway on TP Link routers is 192.168.1.1  and not 192.168.1.254  like the home hub.

So check the laptop and PC  settings, as that would also explain why you cannot get to the router setup page. They should be set to get the IP address and DNS servers automatically using DHCP.

0 Ratings
indyjholtzmann
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Sorry, I did forget that, I have a TD - W9970.

I have triple checked those settings and both computers are set to obtain the IP and DNS automatically and as far as I can tell they're on 192.168.1.1.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

I use that router, and have no issues connecting to any devices, so it must be an issue with the settings on the laptop and PC.

If  you look at the network status on the laptop, it should tell you what IP address and DNS servers it is using.

You can also look at the DHCP server clients list on the router, and see if its been allocated an IP address.

The fact that other devices are working, would indicate it has to be an issue with the laptop and PC wireless settings. Can you see then showing on the wireless status page of the router?

What OS are they running?

As they work with Ethernet, it has to be a wireless issue. Remember Windows uses different settings for wireless and Ethernet.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

This suggestion by forum member  gg30340, may fix the problem.

Select Start

• In the Start Search field type ncpa.cpl and press the Enter key on your keyboard.
  • In the new window, right-click on your Wireless Network Connection and select Properties.
  • In the This connection uses the following items section, remove the tick beside (i.e. disable) Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) and then press OK.

Left click on Internet Protocol IPV4, click on properties. Check the options to obtain IP address and DNS Server address automatically.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

The IP address issued by DHCP,  should be in the range 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.199.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

My daughter is using the same router, with 32 devices connected, using thse wireless settings, if its any help, just in case you have some wireless card compatibility issues?

tplinkwireless.jpg

tplinkwireless2.jpg

0 Ratings
indyjholtzmann
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

The IPv4 address is 192.168.1.101 while the DNS server is 192.168.1.1.

I looked over the settings you provided and changed the Channel to 6. This made it work temporarily albeit a little slow and photos not really loading. Should I change the channels until I come across one that might cause it to work?

I'm also running Windows 10 on both. The switching off of IPv6 appeared to do nothing.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

What sort of wireless signal level are you seeing as it looks more like possible wireless interference or poor signal level.

Also it may be downloading Windows updates, which will make it appear to be running slowly.

If it is downloading updates, then it may be better to leave it connected via Ethernet, until the downloads finish.

0 Ratings
indyjholtzmann
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

Do you mean signal quality? That is showing as a full 5 bars under WiFi status.

Changing the channel worked for a minute before it decided to go back to what it was doing before. There is one windows update downloading but it has stopped now that there's no Internet once again.

I may return this router to be honest. I was recommended a third party router but it's just caused more frustration than the BT hub ever did.
0 Ratings